Gå ubegrenset med Magzter GOLD

Gå ubegrenset med Magzter GOLD

Få ubegrenset tilgang til over 9000 magasiner, aviser og premiumhistorier for bare

$149.99
 
$74.99/År

Prøve GULL - Gratis

Claims of sabotage in Madlanga Commission

The Star

|

October 07, 2025

Government accused of lack of clear budget for inquiry

- MANYANE MANYANE

THE government has been accused of sabotaging the Madlanga Commission following remarks made by former chief evidence leader, advocate Terry Motau, regarding its inadequate budget.

The commission last week confirmed that Motau had stepped down from his role as chief evidence leader, adding that he left the commission on good terms but it did not provide reasons for his departure.

Speaking with Radio 702 last week, Motau revealed that he had tendered his resignation on September 11, following a long-lasting discussion with commission leadership. Central to his concerns was the lack of budget clarity.

Motau stressed that this was a lesson that should have been learned from the Zondo Commission, which ballooned past R1 billion in cost and left several legal professionals unpaid in its final months.

He said the R147.9 million budget for the Madlanga Commission, announced by the government for this task, was insufficient to achieve the commission's goals.

"Without clear budget line items, you cannot responsibly allocate tasks or avoid previous missteps," he said.

The commission's spokesperson, Jeremy Michaels, declined to comment on Motau's claims.

In a statement on behalf of Justice Minister Mamoloko Kubayi, spokesperson Terrence Manase said the budgetary matters relating to the commission had been properly managed and communicated, adding that at no point were formal concerns about the budget raised with the department.

Manase added that Motau was directly involved in the process of determining the fee structure for himself and his junior counsel.

FLERE HISTORIER FRA The Star

The Star

The Star

Tyla climbs the charts and Beyoncé feels need for speed

THIS week was packed with music wins, fashion moments, streaming milestones and a few controversies that kept social media timeline's busy.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

SIU recovers R13.5m from nurse accused of bribery

THE Special Investigating Unit (SIU) says it has recovered R13.5 million from Tembisa Hospital nurse Zacharia Chisele, 53, who was arrested this week after allegedly attempting to bribe a Hawks investigating officer.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

The Star

Transnet settlement casts shadow over former Nedbank CEO Mike Brown's legacy

FORMER Nedbank chief executive Mike Brown's legacy came under scrutiny this week after the bank agreed to pay Transnet R600 million to settle a long-running dispute over controversial interest-rate swap deals concluded during his tenure.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

MK Party’s Mkhwebane considering running for mayor of Joburg

ADVOCATE Busisiwe Mkhwebane, a former public protector and member of the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party, has indicated interest in running for mayor of the City of Johannesburg, saying she has the experience to “turn things around” in the metro.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

Transforming Trump's G20 snub into a strategic advantage for South Africa

THE announcement by US President Donald Trump that South Africa will be “uninvited” from the 2026 G20 Summit is, at face value, a diplomatic provocation. But beneath the headlines lies a far more consequential opportunity: the chance for South Africa - with its business leadership at the forefront - to redefine its global narrative, champion multilateralism and strengthen its position as a bridge between the West and the Global South.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

Limits of the SANDF in addressing gang warfare

The SANDF has been called in once again to support the SAPS with armed peacekeeping in the Cape Flats.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

Batohi tells inquiry Chauke ignored evidence against Richard Mdluli

NATIONAL Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Shamila Batohi has told the Nkabinde inquiry that Gauteng Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Andrew Chauke “did not act as a reasonable prosecutor” when he withdrew murder and related charges against former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli despite overwhelming indications that the case should have proceeded.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

The Star

Is your sunscreen really safe?

Essential facts for summer skincare

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

PPC reassures investors: Zimbabwe import permits won’t impact cement volumes

PPC is unfazed by import permits granted in Zimbabwe, saying these will not affect its volumes in the country.

time to read

1 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

The Star

DJ Dwson's rising international career: From South Africa to global stages

ASHWIN Julies, also known as DJ Dwson, a Cape Town-born producer, has had a watershed moment this year, with his recent exclusive Amsterdam performance cementing his position as one of South Africa's most innovative electronic artists.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size