Facebook Pixel Centre's move pushes state's caste census report to back-burner | The New Indian Express Hubballi - newspaper - Les denne historien på Magzter.com
Gå ubegrenset med Magzter GOLD

Gå ubegrenset med Magzter GOLD

Få ubegrenset tilgang til over 9000 magasiner, aviser og premiumhistorier for bare

$149.99
 
$74.99/År

Prøve GULL - Gratis

Centre's move pushes state's caste census report to back-burner

The New Indian Express Hubballi

|

May 04, 2025

The State Government's contentious caste survey report, which was showing signs of triggering a political storm, is now likely to be put on the back-burner after the Union Government's announcement of the caste census along with the national population census.

- Ramu Patil

However, the tug-of-war over the issue of caste census will continue or might escalate at the state and national levels over the next few months. As Congress attempts to set an agenda for the Centre, the BJP, which was on the defensive, will storm into the issue with confidence.

For Congress and its government in Karnataka, the Centre's announcement provided a breather to reassess the entire issue and fine-tune their strategy, given the differences within the party and even among the ministers over the decade-old survey report. Also, it faces the risk of antagonising dominant communities opposing the survey report.

Those privy to the developments in the state government believe that the report is likely to be shelved for at least a few months for the government to wait and watch the Centre's next move before deciding on the next course of action. A special cabinet meeting to exclusively discuss the state caste census report was not held on May 2, as contemplated earlier. The ministers may discuss it in the next cabinet meeting on May 9, in view of the Union Government's announcement.

FLERE HISTORIER FRA The New Indian Express Hubballi

The New Indian Express Hubballi

RETURN OF ARTEFACTS MUST CUE BETTER HERITAGE CARE

NOTHER priceless piece of heritage was handed back to India last week.

time to read

2 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

CAN'T KEEP FAILING OUR STUDENTS

HE cancellation of NEET-Undergraduate 2024 has pushed nearly 23 lakh students across India into uncertainty, anxiety and emotional distress.

time to read

3 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

The New Indian Express Hubballi

‘No trusting anyone’, says ministry on NEET re-test

Pradhan holds review meet; ‘We have learnt our lesson’, says official

time to read

1 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

Railways gives upgrade to Jammu-Katra route, push to Delhi-Howrah capacity

THE Ministry of Railways has sanctioned slope stabilisation, tunnel rehabilitation and bridge protection works on the Jammu-Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra section of Northern Railway at a cost of ₹238 crore.

time to read

1 min

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

The New Indian Express Hubballi

‘Made for Test cricket’, Rajasthan spinner Manav earns India call-up

‘‘IT was always a matter of when and not if.’’ Talk to anyone in Indian cricketing circles about Manav Suthar in the last two years, this is the line one would hear.

time to read

3 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

The New Indian Express Hubballi

ITALY & INDIA: STRATEGIC PUSH FOR THE INDO-MEDITERRANEAN

THE relationship between India and Italy has reached a decisive stage. In recent years, our ties have expanded with unprecedented momentum, evolving from a cordial friendship into a special strategic partnership grounded in the values of freedom and democracy, and a common vision for the future.

time to read

4 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

Deeply concerned about harassment complaints, HI chief calls for meeting

WITH multiple sexual harassment charges coming to light, the Hockey India has called for emergency meeting to find a way forward.

time to read

2 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

Naxals gone, but minefields still a danger in Bastar

DESPITE the government’s declaration that the country is now free of Naxal influence, security officials have warned that the Bastar region continues to face a grave threat from a sprawling network of hidden explosives buried across its dense forests and rugged hills.

time to read

1 min

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

The New Indian Express Hubballi

Devastated 70-yr-old NEET aspirant wants reservation for seniors in exam

AMONG the 22.05 lakh candidates who agonised over the cancellation of the May NEET-UG 2026 exam is septuagenarian Ashok Bahar.

time to read

1 mins

May 20, 2026

The New Indian Express Hubballi

The New Indian Express Hubballi

Disciplined Army man of politics passes away

MAJOR General Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri (Retd), a towering figure in Uttarakhand’s political landscape and a transformative administrator known for his discipline and integrity, passed away at Max Hospital in Dehradun on Tuesday morning. He was 91.

time to read

2 mins

May 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size