Facebook Pixel Evaluation of Capitol bldg ordered | The Freeman - newspaper - Les denne historien på Magzter.com

Prøve GULL - Gratis

Evaluation of Capitol bldg ordered

The Freeman

|

July 09, 2025

AFTER REPORTS OF LEAKS, WEAR, HAZARDS

Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro has ordered the Provincial General Services Office (PGSO) to assess the Cebu Capitol building, citing serious concerns over the safety and condition of the historic structure.

This following reports of leaks, structural wear, and fire safety risks.

"Imagine national heritage unya unsafe? That's something we have to prioritize," said Baricuatro.

She also said the third floor poses occupational safety risks, noting the absence of a proper fire escape and the lack of essential lifesaving equipment like an Automated External Defibrillator.

She said the last major renovation done at the Capitol was in 2015, nearly a decade ago. Since then, no significant improvements or routine maintenance work appears to have been conducted.

Several departments, including Planning and Engineering, have also reported persistent leaks.

When asked if the Capitol building is compliant with the Fire Code, she said, "I suppose not."

To address the situation, Baricuatro said she plans to procure fire extinguishers and install directional fire exit signage.

She also welcomed the Bureau of Fire Protection's offer to assist with the installation and conduct safety training. The bureau committed to training at least one or two personnel from each department in first aid and firefighting, ensuring Capitol staff are equipped to respond in emergencies.

PGSO records show that more than 200 fire extinguishers are distributed across Capitol offices.

ENGINEERING DEPT. NOW ON AUDIT

Provincial engineer Hector Jamora confirmed that many offices, including the Engineering and Planning units, suffer from ceiling leaks.

Jamora said budget requests had already been submitted to address the current issues in the building, and their office is closely collaborating with the PGSO on repairs.

FLERE HISTORIER FRA The Freeman

The Freeman

Gilas Pilipinas pool now in full force for FIBA Asian qualifiers

Time Cone finally had the whole gang back for the second window of the FIBA World Cup Asian qualifiers.

time to read

1 mins

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

Desalination plant to boost water supply in Olango Island

A desalination facility aimed at addressing the longstanding water shortage on Olango Island in Lapu-Lapu City has been inaugurated in Barangay Santa Rosa, with operations set to commence immediately after system commissioning.

time to read

1 mins

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15 percent

President Donald Trump raised the global duty on imports into the United States to 15 percent on Saturday, doubling down on his promise to maintain his aggressive tariff policy a day after the Supreme Court ruled much of it illegal.

time to read

3 mins

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

The Freeman

2 die in hit-and-run in Catmon

Two female friends riding a motorcycle were killed in a hit-and-run incident involving a trailer truck along the national highway in Barangay Panalipan, Catmon, northern Cebu, on Saturday evening, February 21.

time to read

2 mins

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

Trump raises global tariff to 15% after Supreme Court setback

President Donald Trump raised the global duty on imports into the United States to 15 percent on Saturday, doubling down on his promise to maintain his aggressive tariff policy a day after the Supreme Court ruled much of it illegal.

time to read

2 mins

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

LTO starts crackdown on “illegal” mufflers

LTO-7 said its law enforcement personnel have been directed to apprehend vehicles equipped with non-compliant mufflers, particularly those that emit excessively loud and disruptive noise.

time to read

1 min

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

The Freeman

Qatari firm to pump $1B into Cebu projects

Qatari investment firm JTA International Investment Holdings plans to infuse at least US$1 billion in Cebu as part of a broader US$3 billion Philippine investment program, marking one of the largest prospective capital inflows from the Gulf state into the country.

time to read

2 mins

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

No family visit for ex- Pres Duterte during ICC trial

No family visits have been approved during the trial of detained former president Rodrigo Duterte at the International Criminal Court (ICC), his family said Sunday, February 22.

time to read

1 min

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

DTI eyes stronger MSME gains from trade fairs

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is aiming to achieve higher sales from trade fairs this year as part of efforts to support micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).

time to read

1 min

February 23, 2026

The Freeman

BSP tightens net against financial scams

The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) has signed separate information-sharing agreements with key government agencies to strengthen investigations into financial scams, marking another step in the implementation of the Anti-Financial Account Scamming Act (AFASA).

time to read

1 mins

February 23, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size