Prøve GULL - Gratis

Musk's fight with Trump puts SpaceX deals at risk

Bangkok Post

|

June 07, 2025

About $22 billion of SpaceX's government contracts are at risk and multiple US space projects could face dramatic changes in the fallout from Elon Musk and President Donald Trump's explosive feud on Thursday.

- JOEY ROULETTE

The disagreement, rooted in Mr Musk’s criticism of Trump's tax-cut and spending legislation that began last week, quickly spiralled out of control. Trump lashed out at Mr Musk when the president spoke in the Oval Office. Then in a series of X posts, Mr Musk launched barbs at Trump, who threatened to terminate government contracts with Mr Musk’s companies.

Taking the threat seriously, Mr Musk said he would begin “decommissioning” SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft used by Nasa.

Hours later, however, Mr Musk appeared to reverse course. Responding to a follower on X urging him and Trump to “cool off and take a step back for a couple of days,’ Mr Musk wrote: “Good advice. Ok, we won't decommission Dragon.”

Still, Mr Musk’s mere threat to abruptly pull its Dragon spacecraft out of service marked an unprecedented outburst from one of Nasa’s leading commercial partners.

Under a roughly $5 billion contract, the Dragon capsule has been the agency’s only US vessel capable of carrying astronauts to and from the International Space Station (ISS), making Mr Musk’s company a critical element of the US space effort.

FLERE HISTORIER FRA Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

Tourism’s 2-speed economy

Foreign visitor spending drives growth, while most provinces struggle to benefit, writes Narumon Kasemsuk

time to read

4 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Spain to probe X, Meta, TikTok over sexual content

The Spanish government has ordered prosecutors to investigate social media platforms X, Meta and TikTok for allegedly spreading AI-generated child sexual abuse material, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said yesterday.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Court okays megaproject on Andaman Sea island

India’s environmental court has given the go-ahead to the strategically significant Great Nicobar infrastructure project despite widespread concerns of ecological damage to the island in the Andaman Sea.

time to read

1 min

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

PM refuses help for 'jihadists'

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese refused help for 34 Australian citizens related to suspected Islamic State jihadists, as they try to return home from a Syrian detention camp yesterday.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Thais urged to go global amid volatile markets

Global markets will remain volatile as shifting US economic policies, an evolving interest rate cycle, an uneven global recovery, and persistent geopolitical risks normalise market swings, warns Maybank Securities (Thailand).

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

KKP plans to expand EV loan portfolio

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank, a subsidiary of Kiatnakin Phatra Financial Group (KKP), wants to grow its electric vehicle (EV) loan portfolio this year, following strong adoption of EVs in the Thai market.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

Critical thinking skills under AI pressure

In January, I had some rather interesting conversations, specifically about thinking and learning.

time to read

4 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

Moscow, Kyiv to hold fresh negotiations

Russian and Ukrainian delegations were set for another round of talks in Geneva yesterday as part of the latest fraught push by the United States to end the four-year war.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Green Bridge revamp gets nod

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is pressing ahead with plans to transform the Green Bridge, a 1.6-kilometre elevated walkway and cycling path linking Lumpini Park and Benjakitti Park, into a modern urban green corridor.

time to read

1 min

February 18, 2026

Bangkok Post

Call for new stimulus for EV sales

Thailand’s automotive industry is urging the government to introduce new, non-monetary measures to stimulate demand for electric vehicles (EVs), including battery EVs (BEVs) and plugin hybrid EVs (PHEVs).

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size