試す - 無料

American Robert Prevost elected as Pope Leo XIV

The Straits Times

|

May 09, 2025

He is first US pontiff, and is known for his quiet style and support for his predecessor

American Robert Prevost elected as Pope Leo XIV

VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost was elected as Pope Leo XIV early on May 9 (Singapore time), the first American to lead the world's 1.4 billion Catholics.

Pope Leo appeared on the central balcony of St Peter's Basilica around 70 minutes after white smoke billowed from a chimney atop the Sistine Chapel, signifying that the 133 cardinal electors had chosen a new leader for the Catholic Church.

"Peace be with all you," the new pontiff said, in his first public words.

The choice of Cardinal Prevost was announced by French Cardinal Dominique Mamberti with the Latin words "Habemus Papam" (We have a pope) to tens of thousands of people gathered in St Peter's Square to hear the news.

Pope Leo becomes the 267th Catholic pope after the death in April of Pope Francis, who was the first Latin American pope and had led the church for 12 years, and widely sought to open the staid institution up to the modern world.

White smoke from the Sistine Chapel had billowed into the sky on the cardinals' second day of voting to announce his election in a secret conclave, while the bells of St Peter's Basilica and churches across Rome rang out.

Crowds of people rushed towards the square to watch the balcony of the basilica, which had been fitted out with red curtains for Pope Leo's first address.

"It is an amazing feeling," said an elated Mr Joseph Brian, a 39-year-old chef from Belfast in Northern Ireland who came with his mother to Rome for the spectacle.

The Straits Times からのその他のストーリー

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

CAULFIELD'S DIAMOND COULD BE ETERNAL WARRIOR'S BEST FRIEND

Colt with solid Victorian classic ties bids to keep it in the family

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

OpenAI set to raise $127b in first phase of new funding round

SAN FRANCISCO - OpenAI is close to finalising the first phase of a new funding round that is likely to bring in more than US$100 billion (S$126.8 billion), according to people familiar with the matter.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

No verified info on S'poreans fighting for IDF: MHA

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it is aware of a foreign news report stating that two Singaporeans were among those who fought for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) during the conflict in Gaza.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

German Chancellor joins calls for social media limits for children

Chancellor Friedrich Merz backed growing calls in Germany for controls on access to social media platforms by children.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

Ipoh flood victims suffer huge losses, face a grim fasting month

Flood-hit families in Malaysia are struggling to prepare for the fasting month.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

China’s economic policies causing waste at home, damage abroad: IMF

It urges country to shift to a growth model driven by domestic consumer spending

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

PM Wong visiting Malaysia on Feb 20

Prime Minister Lawrence Wong will visit Malaysia on Feb 20 at the invitation of his Malaysian counterpart Anwar Ibrahim.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

Singapore shares rise after tech rebound on Wall Street

Local stocks finished stronger on Feb 19, tracking regional gains and following a strong rebound in technology shares on Wall Street.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

Incredible demand for special World Cup: Infantino

All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be \"sold out\", FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Feb 18, even though tickets are still available ahead of the tournament's June 11 kickoff.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

Italy against Russian, Belarusian flags at Paralympics

Olympic hosts Italy on Feb 19 called for a reversal of the decision to let 10 Russian and Belarusian athletes compete with national flags and anthems at the Paralympic Winter Games in March.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size