Magzter GOLDで無制限に

Magzter GOLDで無制限に

10,000以上の雑誌、新聞、プレミアム記事に無制限にアクセスできます。

$149.99
 
$74.99/年

試す - 無料

Renewable energy generation seen as a strategic investment

The Island

|

October 08, 2025

Power and Energy Minister Eng. Kumara Jayakody reaffirmed the government's unwavering commitment to expanding renewable energy generation, calling it not just an environmental goal but a strategic investment in Sri Lanka's economic future.

- BY IFHAM NIZAM

Speaking at the recent inauguration of a 5-megawatt solar power project in Galle, Jayakody emphasized that despite current fiscal and institutional challenges, renewable energy remains central to the administration's national development agenda.

"Renewable energy projects will continue without interruption, he told The Island Financial Review. "We are taking all necessary measures to address any social or human challenges that arise. The production of renewable energy is not merely a policy choice it is a national necessity."

The minister noted that the renewable energy sector has already attracted billions of rupees in private investment over the past five years and continues to draw the attention of local and foreign financiers due to its long-term profitability and environmental alignment.

The Island からのその他のストーリー

The Island

The Island

Indian Army Chief to visit Sri Lanka early next month

General Upendra Dwivedi, India’s Chief of Army Staff, is expected to visit Sri Lanka early next month to strengthen defence cooperation with the island nation. India considers Sri Lanka crucial to its Neighbourhood First policy.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

Grave case of conflict of interest raised in parliament against Deputy Minister

Grave case of conflict of interest raised in Parliament against Deputy Minister SJB Gampaha District MP Prasad Siriwardana last week levelled a series of serious allegations, in Parliament, against Deputy Minister of Digital Technology Eranga Weeraratne, accusing him of presiding over a major conflict of interest involving two private technology firms.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

JVP breakaway FSP takes up mass grave found within Colombo Port premises

JVP-splinter Frontline Socialist Party-led People's Struggle Alliance has called for an urgent and wide-ranging investigation into what is believed to be a mass grave uncovered during ongoing excavation work within the Colombo Port premises, where officials have already identified skeletal remains belonging to at least 88 individuals.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

15 inbound flights diverted to ensure safety

The Airport and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) Pvt Ltd (AASL) yesterday moved to reassure the travelling public that stringent measures are in place to cushion the impact of the island’s severe storm conditions including Cyclone Ditwah on operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA).

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Island

Cyclone Ditwah moving towards Tamil Nadu, landfall in 48 hours, state on alert

Fishermen have been pulled off large stretches of the Bay, multiple districts of southern states are on red or orange alert as officials said that Cyclone Ditwah's landfall timing will hinge on its shifting track over the next 24 hours.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

The Island

AIADMK veteran Sengottaiyan joins Vijay's TVK, boosts its political heft

K A Sengottaiyan, expelled veteran of AIADMK formally joined actor Vijay’s Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) on Thursday, a day after resigning as MLA from the Gobichettipalayam constituency.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

The Island

New Horizons

Poverty and hunger share a tragic intertwined relationship, where each condition can both cause and perpetuate the other.

time to read

7 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

Country reels under worst weather in living memory

56 confirmed deaths, at least 21 others missing

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

Rescue efforts at Hong Kong blaze end with deaths at 128, dozens missing

Firefighting and rescue operations at Hong Kong’s deadliest blaze in decades have ended, a government spokesperson said, with the death toll rising to 128 and about 200 people still missing.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

The Island

Share market fervour soars over rampaging flood waters

The business sentiment and confidence among investors were visible yesterday at the CSE despite there being an emergency situation in the country stemming from the weather havoc.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size