試す 金 - 無料
Teen 'snuffed out' in rapid sword attack, court hears
The Independent
|June 05, 2025
A man carried out a "brutal string of attacks with murderous intent" which left a 14-year-old schoolboy dead and five others injured during a series of unprovoked attacks, a court has heard.
Marcus Monzo embarked on a 20-minute rampage with a 60cm Japanese sword in Hainault, northeast London, on 30 April last year, while under the influence of drugs, a jury at the Old Bailey was told.
The bearded defendant, 37, is accused of ambushing teenager Daniel Anjorin as he walked to school and slashing him repeatedly in the chest and neck. Mr Monzo has denied the teenager's murder, as well as four counts of attempted murder and one count of wounding with intent, which left injuries of "various degrees of severity".
Opening the case yesterday, prosecutor Tom Little KC said: "There was a clear intention to kill a number of people that morning on the defendant's part. It did not matter who they were, or indeed how old they were.
"Daniel Anjorin is the boy that was murdered. He did not know the defendant. He was just 14 years of age at the time. He had left home and was simply walking to school, minding his own business, looking forward to the day ahead when he was killed by the defendant.
"His life was snuffed out in an instant. In fact, most accurately, he was slain by the defendant with the use of this sword."
The court heard that the force used was "extreme", and that Daniel sustained a "devastating and unsurvivable chopping injury".
Mr Little KC recounted that the incident began shortly before 7am, when Mr Monzo is accused of deliberately driving his van into Donato Iwule on Laing Close, who narrowly escaped death after being "catapulted" into a nearby garden and attacked with the same sword.
このストーリーは、The Independent の June 05, 2025 版からのものです。
Magzter GOLD を購読すると、厳選された何千ものプレミアム記事や、10,000 以上の雑誌や新聞にアクセスできます。
すでに購読者ですか? サインイン
The Independent からのその他のストーリー
The Independent
Scotland have dragons to slay, not all of them Welsh
Winning in Cardiff and backing up big performances against England have seen the Scots struggle historically, writes Harry Latham-Coyle - do Wales have hope of a shock win?
4 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Everything about our armed forces is yesterday's war
In a recent military exercise, British armoured vehicles were wiped out by drones. Owen Matthews charts the changing face of war and a wake-up call for an ill-equipped Nato
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Romeo announced as first female head of civil service
Sir Keir Starmer has appointed Dame Antonia Romeo as Britain's first female cabinet secretary and head of the civil service.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
'She's the queen of Ireland
Marian Keyes has sold more than 35 million books, but only now has one reached the screen. Annabel Nugent hears how her 1995 novel 'The Walsh Sisters' was finally adapted
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Mountbatten-Windsor held as police raid royal homes
'Our broken hearts have been lifted with the news that no one is above the law - not even royalty,' says Giuffre's family
4 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
‘The joy is still there but it now carries grief within it’
Two years of war have left much of Gaza in ruins. As the holy month of Ramadan begins, the UN warns that conditions on the ground are the worst they have seen.
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Mummy would be horrified by how far this son has fallen
Sixty-six years ago, the first prince “born in the purple” arrived at Buckingham Palace, the first royal baby born to a reigning Queen since Princess Beatrice was born to Queen Victoria in 1857.
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Magnificent obsession now harming Arsenal's title run
Mikel Arteta’s desire to control every single detail is the reason they are top of the table, writes Miguel Delaney. It is also exhausting, and could become a problem in the run-in
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Mandelson consultancy set to fold after clients cut ties
The consultancy firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson is preparing to enter administration as early as today, it has emerged.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Independent
Trump uses Board of Peace speech to threaten Tehran
US president Donald Trump said Iran must reach an agreement with the United States on curbing its nuclear programme or risk “bad things”, as he addressed a meeting of his fledgling Board of Peace, at which he touted his efforts in ending Israel’s war in Gaza.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
