試す 金 - 無料
A land reduced to rubble after 19 months of carnage
The Independent
|May 24, 2025
Gaza is on the brink of famine after Israel's three-month blockade, the UN warns. Chief international correspondent Bel Trew looks at how the Palestinians got to this point
-
Amid an apocalyptic humanitarian crisis in Gaza and mounting global pressure, Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has pushed ahead with a deeply controversial new plan to deliver supplies to the besieged strip.
In a rare press conference on Wednesday night, Netanyahu said that in the "coming days", they would enact the scheme, which would replace the existing UN-led aid distribution system in Gaza with a new arrangement under full Israeli control.
He said his forces would begin corralling the two-million-strong population of Gaza into a "sterile zone" in the south of the Strip, free from Hamas militants, where the Israeli military would oversee the delivery of supplies at a small number of distribution hubs directed by a private US-backed group known as the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation.
Armed private contractors would guard the distribution. The UN and other humanitarian groups say it enables Israel to use aid as a weapon and forcibly displace civilians.
The situation in Gaza, after Israel imposed a full three-month total blockade on supplies and launched a renewed "intensive" expanded operation, is so catastrophic that it has pushed the entire population to the brink of famine, according to the UN's global hunger monitor, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC). So far, only a handful of trucks of supplies have been let back in.
This has sparked rare global action from Israel's allies, as the country increasingly becomes a global pariah.This week, UK foreign secretary David Lammy described Israel's blockade and intensified fighting as "monstrous" before announcing a formal pause in free trade negotiations with Israel and summoning Israel's ambassador to London.
このストーリーは、The Independent の May 24, 2025 版からのものです。
Magzter GOLD を購読すると、厳選された何千ものプレミアム記事や、10,000 以上の雑誌や新聞にアクセスできます。
すでに購読者ですか? サインイン
The Independent からのその他のストーリー
The Independent
MY BACK PAGES
From choosing the right novel to curating your own to-read list, Katie Rosseinsky - who made it through an impressive tally of books in 2025 - has some words of wisdom to share
7 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
Will my dual-national sister be hit by passport changes?
Q I’m still confused about the new passport rules for dual nationals. My British-born sister moved to Canada over 50 years ago and took Canadian citizenship.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
From K-pop to cardies, the real signs you're getting old
Fresh from an early night, Stuart Heritage takes umbrage at a new survey purporting to show the habits of the over-40s
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
How can I cope better with the stress of school holidays?
The Indy's agony aunt Victoria Richards is here to help
5 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
CANCEL CULTURE
Debut play 'Spanish Oranges' is a searing study of a celebrity marriage upended by scandal
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
EXPLOSIVE TALENT
RAYE's ambitious, thrilling show sees the British pop star swagger through jazz, blues, dance and R&B styles with the charisma and charm of a true great
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
Why IFS wants chancellor to overhaul her fiscal rules
The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) says the chancellor's fiscal rules are “dysfunctional” — which may come as not much of a surprise even to the lay observer of Rachel Reeves's time in office.
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
Brutal, clever prison drama mixes complexity and grace
David Jonsson mesmerises in the violent 'Wasteman', writes Clarisse Loughrey, while Mary Bronstein's 'If I Had Legs I'd Kick You' is tender but visceral, and 'The Secret Agent' is a bold, visually ravishing excavation of dictatorship-era Brazil
7 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
White men are victims of Equality Act, claims Farage
Middle-aged white men are losing jobs, the Reform leader said in a speech yesterday (Getty)
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Independent
Chagos deal 'mistake', says Trump in another U-turn
Donald Trump has lambasted Sir Keir Starmer over his plan to give up the Chagos Islands in yet another U-turn by the US president over the issue, just one day after backing it.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
