試す 金 - 無料
Google Dodges Chrome Sale, Other Penalties in U.S. Antitrust Case
Mint Ahmedabad
|September 04, 2025
Judge allows Google to keep its Chrome browser and high-stakes agreement with Apple
Google avoided harsh antitrust penalties for its conduct in the U.S. search market, with a judge barring the company from entering into exclusive deals but rejecting a forced spinoff of its Chrome browser and other sweeping remedies sought by the Justice Department.
U.S. District Judge Amit P. Mehta in a Tuesday ruling said Google can't pay to be the exclusive search engine on devices and browsers, but he allowed the company to continue making payments for distribution of its products, saying a prohibition on those agreements would harm recipients such as Apple.
Mehta's order follows his ruling last year that Google illegally monopolized the search market for more than a decade. That opinion said Google used illegal distribution agreements with companies such as Apple to build and maintain a 90% market share and prevent rivals from developing competitive alternatives.
While Mehta's earlier ruling was a blow to Google, Tuesday's decision adopted much of the company's position on what should happen now. Mehta said a judge's job was to approach remedies with humility, and he said the competitive dynamics of the marketplace were changing already, largely because of AI technology.
"There are strong reasons not to jolt the system and to allow market forces to do the work," Mehta wrote.
Wall Street analysts scored the ruling a huge win for Google and Apple since it allowed an existing arrangement to continue in which Google pays Apple more than $20 billion a year to be the default search provider on the Safari browser.
The ruling paves the way for the two companies to partner further on AI-related services on Apple devices, analysts said. Apple currently has a deal with OpenAI to integrate ChatGPT into various iPhone services. Apple and Google have had talks about striking a similar deal for Google's AI system called Gemini.
このストーリーは、Mint Ahmedabad の September 04, 2025 版からのものです。
Magzter GOLD を購読すると、厳選された何千ものプレミアム記事や、10,000 以上の雑誌や新聞にアクセスできます。
すでに購読者ですか? サインイン
Mint Ahmedabad からのその他のストーリー
Mint Ahmedabad
LG India expects mid-teen revenue growth in FY27
LG Electronics India expects revenue growth in the mid-teens in FY27 even as the broader market struggles with raw material price fluctuations, currency depreciation and inflation.
1 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
In his debut memoir, Rahul Akerkar bares it all
Split chins. Cut fingers. Toxic boardrooms. Idyllic days on the Mediterranean. Who would guess we are talking not about the latest potboiler, but chef Rahul Akerkar’s memoir, Biting Off More Than I Can Chew (HarperCollins India).
3 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
Govt puts curbs on sales of Pregabalin
The Union health ministry has brought the anti-convulsant and nerve pain drug, Pregabalin, under the stricter Schedule H1 category of the Drugs Rules, 1945, to curb its growing recreational abuse, according to a government official and a notification reviewed by Mint.
1 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
Better name, better care?
PCOS has been renamed for a more comprehensive approach and clarity in seeking treatment
2 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
New road building framework targets proxy control, delays
The government is putting in place a stricter, more transparent framework for harmonious substitution of highway concessionaires amid concerns that developers were using proxies to retain control and lenders were exercising excessive discretion, two people aware of the development said.
2 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
The cost of crowded trails
Karnataka has closed most of its trails, just about a month after it issued guidelines and safety protocols for trekking, including regulation of single-use plastic and waste disposal.
1 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
The economy does not drive
‘Yes Minister’ feels too naive for the times of today.
4 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
Priya moves HC for Sunjay Kapur's EPF
Priya Kapur, widow of Sona Comstar chairman Sunjay Kapur, on Friday moved Delhi High Court seeking clarification and partial modification of an earlier order freezing his assets, marking a fresh twist in the ongoing family dispute over the industrialist’s estimated ₹30,000-crore estate.
1 min
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
‘Momo cuts across class and caste’
Tribeny Rai on defying stereotypes and the challenges of making her debut feature in Sikkim
4 mins
May 23, 2026
Mint Ahmedabad
HC shields IndiGo in ₹458-crore GST dispute
The Delhi High Court on Friday protected InterGlobe Aviation, which operates IndiGo, from coercive action over a ₹458.26 crore goods and services tax (GST) demand linked to compensation received from a foreign engine supplier.
1 min
May 23, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

