試す 金 - 無料
A Monstrously good creation
Daily Star
|November 21, 2025
The Curse of Frankenstein launched Hammer Films' era-defining reign of gruesome, gothic horrors in the Fifties. Now the British psycho-terror has been resurrected on screens to thrill a new generation
HAMMER Films liked to shock its audience. So, in November 1956, when the British studio was promoting The Curse of Frankenstein - starring Peter Cushing and now restored in 4K for a collector's box set and a recent cinema re-release - it staged a press event at the dank, gloomy Brooks Wharf warehouse in London.
Some 200 guests attended the gimmicky PR stunt. They drank blood-themed cocktails and huddled by a prop casket and gurgling laboratory equipment, awaiting an industry-changing reveal - the unveiling of Christopher Lee as Frankenstein's terrifying creation.
It was superb showmanship from Hammer Films, which soon became known for lurid gothic horrors with bright-red blood and heaving bosoms.
For extra dramatic effect, a scream echoed around the warehouse before a set of iron doors opened to reveal Lee as the creature, with actress Hazel Court draped in his manacled arms. There was a burst of flashbulbs as the 6ft 5in Lee towered over reporters. His monster makeup was a mishmash of mortician's wax, rubber and cotton wool.
This was not the flat-headed, neck-bolted monster made famous by Boris Karloff in 1931. The threat of a lawsuit had prevented Hammer from recreating any aspects of the Universal Studios classic. This was something more stomach-churning - a stitched-together abomination. Lee recalled the creature being described as "a road accident".
Baron Frankenstein had created more than a monster. He also helped create the formula that made the Hammer horrors of the late 1950s and 60s - many filmed in and around Bray Studios, an old mansion near Windsor - some of the best horrors in the world. The formula was quite simple, says Marcus Hearn, coauthor of The Hammer Story - "Death, colour and sex."
このストーリーは、Daily Star の November 21, 2025 版からのものです。
Magzter GOLD を購読すると、厳選された何千ものプレミアム記事や、10,000 以上の雑誌や新聞にアクセスできます。
すでに購読者ですか? サインイン
Daily Star からのその他のストーリー
Daily Star
PEP SKIPS OVER SILVA DEAL TALK
PEP GUARDIOLA has not spoken with Bernardo Silva about his Manchester City future - but will be happy with any decision he makes.
1 min
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
REGIS HAS CATS' EYES ON SWIFT RESPONSE
SUNDERLAND manager Regis Le Bris wants his side to show their resilience when they host Bournemouth looking to bounce back from last week's defeat at Fulham.
1 min
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
TALLINN SCOUTED
An expert who's visited every nation on the planet tells Amy Jones why Estonia's capital has his heart
3 mins
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
MIND THE GAP MIK
PALM SUNDAY SHOWDOWN-
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
Liam: I'm definitely booze free
NO CIGARETTES OR ALCOHOL FOR LIAM
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
POPE ON THE ROPES
...but Eddie will ignore fans' call for Rambo
2 mins
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
Sir Tony cancer worries
BLACKADDER Sir Tony Robinson said he is \"disappointed\" at a decision not to recommend screening all men for prostate cancer.
1 min
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
Reeves £30bn black hole 'lie'
'HARD CHOICES' WARNING
1 min
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
StarForm
Ultima hero ready to impress again
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Daily Star
New Old Trafford is in bid
MANCHESTER UNITED'S new stadium will be at the heart of the United Kingdom's bid to stage for the 2035 Women's World Cup.
1 min
November 29, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

