कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त
Indonesia's peacemaker dream shattered by US-Iran conflict
The Straits Times
|March 02, 2026
Following joint strikes launched by the United States and Israel on Iran on Feb 28, Indonesia - the world's largest Muslim-majority country — offered to help reduce tensions and promote dialogue.
Its Foreign Ministry expressed “deep regret” over the collapse of US-Iran negotiations, urged restraint, and said Mr Prabowo is ready to facilitate dialogue and travel to Tehran if both sides agree.
“President of the Republic of Indonesia has expressed readiness to facilitate dialogue to restore security and, if agreed by both parties, he is willing to travel to Tehran to mediate,” said the ministry.
The offer to be a peacemaker came on the heels of Mr Prabowo’s brief trip to the Middle East, which had been designed to showcase Indonesia’s international reach.
In Jordan, he met King Abdullah II and reaffirmed support for a two-state solution envisioning Israel and a future Palestinian state living side by side. In Abu Dhabi, he marked 50 years of diplomatic relations while deepening cooperation in energy, trade and investment.
The optics were deliberate. Indonesia was presenting itself as a bridge - trusted in Arab capitals, yet maintaining working ties with Washington, including by participating in President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace, a US-led initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and supporting Palestinian reconstruction.
But the sharp escalation in tensions and the announcement of Iran leader Ali Khamenei’s death highlighted the limits of Mr Prabowo’s diplomatic ambitions.
The offer to be a peacemaker signalled intent. But analysts say it underscores a lack of understanding of the situation.
Mr Muhammad Waffaa Kharisma, an international relations researcher at the Jakarta-based Centre for Strategic and International Studies, said the mediation offer showed a misjudgment of the context.
“The mediation offer is mistimed and shows a bit of a lack of understanding of context. The US and Israel suggest they are hellbent on regime change, and they have shown they can do it. Offering to go to Tehran to mediate fails to consider how real and severe the situation has been,” he told The Straits Times.
यह कहानी The Straits Times के March 02, 2026 संस्करण से ली गई है।
हजारों चुनिंदा प्रीमियम कहानियों और 10,000 से अधिक पत्रिकाओं और समाचार पत्रों तक पहुंचने के लिए मैगज़्टर गोल्ड की सदस्यता लें।
क्या आप पहले से ही ग्राहक हैं? साइन इन करें
The Straits Times से और कहानियाँ
The Straits Times
Xi-Putin summit a nod to China's superpower status
Russia is happy to play junior partner partly because it needs this relationship but also because it accepts the new world order.
6 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
'ENHANCING' THE EPL EXPERIENCE
EPL’s new streaming service and StarHub’s offering complement each other: Telco’s V-P
3 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
Jobs • What fresh graduates need to stay ahead: Experts
As artificial intelligence tools automate entry-level roles, companies here are now hiring fresh graduates with at least two years of work experience, said experts.
1 min
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
A CASE FOR LUXURY
Known for its iconic aluminium suitcases, German luxury luggage maker Rimowa now has a made-to-measure service exclusive to its flagship store in Cologne
7 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
Teo Siong Seng, the shipping scion accused of fixing container prices
Mr Teo Siong Seng, a towering figure in Singapore's maritime and business landscapes for decades, is at the centre of an investigation by the United States Department of Justice.
2 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
NDP 2026: Bigger venue, new songs, but no Red Lions, mobile column
About 42,000 people will be able to catch the National Day Parade (NDP) in 2026 as it returns to the National Stadium after 10 years.
3 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
Samsung chip employees to get $432,000 average bonus under strike deal
Samsung Electronics semiconductor employees are expected to receive average bonuses worth 509 million won (S$432,000) in 2026, a company official said on May 21, under a tentative deal between management and labour unions to avert a strike.
2 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
AFRICAN TEAMS NOW HAVE BELIEF
Morocco reaching 2022 World Cup semi has given continent confidence, says CAF boss
3 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
SHEESH IS RARING TO GO TO WAR
Rising 10YO out to exact revenge on War Code in KL on May 24
3 mins
May 22, 2026
The Straits Times
Tourists adjust plans ahead of changes in Thai visa rules
Plan to shorten visa-free stays follows recent high-profile arrests of foreigners
3 mins
May 22, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

