मैगज़्टर गोल्ड के साथ असीमित हो जाओ

मैगज़्टर गोल्ड के साथ असीमित हो जाओ

10,000 से अधिक पत्रिकाओं, समाचार पत्रों और प्रीमियम कहानियों तक असीमित पहुंच प्राप्त करें सिर्फ

$149.99
 
$74.99/वर्ष

कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त

Family of slain whistle-blower shocked by SIU report

The Star

|

October 06, 2025

THE family of slain whistle-blower, Babita Deokaran, is disappointed and shocked by the findings of the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) interim report that more than R2 billion was looted from Tembisa Hospital.

- KAREN SINGH

Deokaran, who was a Gauteng Department of Health official, uncovered about R850 million in suspicious payments at Tembisa Hospital and was killed in August 2021 for exposing this corruption which implicates at least 15 current and former employees.

The six men accused of her murder were sentenced earlier this year, but the mastermind behind the hit has not been caught.

Deokaran's brother-in-law, Bishop Tony Haripersadh, said it has been difficult for the family, who still struggles to find closure since her death.

He believes that the authorities and law enforcement are not concerned about finding the mastermind behind her murder.

“The family is very saddened and hurt. They say time will heal, but for us, time is not healing, because it’s four years now, and it’s still like the first day that we lost her,” he said.

Haripersadh said they were disappointed with the SIU report finding that funds taken had risen from R850m at the time of her death to R2 billion.

“We are very disappointed and angry at the fact that she laid down her life, and all that she uncovered was stored on her laptop and cellphone”

He stated that investigating officials could have discovered clues and identified the individuals in the report had they examined her devices.

Haripersadh, a former government accountant of over 10 years, stated that if action had been taken sooner, “a lot of the money that was taken, about R1.2 billion after her death, could have been stopped”.

The Star से और कहानियाँ

The Star

The Star

Tyla climbs the charts and Beyoncé feels need for speed

THIS week was packed with music wins, fashion moments, streaming milestones and a few controversies that kept social media timeline's busy.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

SIU recovers R13.5m from nurse accused of bribery

THE Special Investigating Unit (SIU) says it has recovered R13.5 million from Tembisa Hospital nurse Zacharia Chisele, 53, who was arrested this week after allegedly attempting to bribe a Hawks investigating officer.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

The Star

Transnet settlement casts shadow over former Nedbank CEO Mike Brown's legacy

FORMER Nedbank chief executive Mike Brown's legacy came under scrutiny this week after the bank agreed to pay Transnet R600 million to settle a long-running dispute over controversial interest-rate swap deals concluded during his tenure.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

MK Party’s Mkhwebane considering running for mayor of Joburg

ADVOCATE Busisiwe Mkhwebane, a former public protector and member of the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party, has indicated interest in running for mayor of the City of Johannesburg, saying she has the experience to “turn things around” in the metro.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

Transforming Trump's G20 snub into a strategic advantage for South Africa

THE announcement by US President Donald Trump that South Africa will be “uninvited” from the 2026 G20 Summit is, at face value, a diplomatic provocation. But beneath the headlines lies a far more consequential opportunity: the chance for South Africa - with its business leadership at the forefront - to redefine its global narrative, champion multilateralism and strengthen its position as a bridge between the West and the Global South.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

Limits of the SANDF in addressing gang warfare

The SANDF has been called in once again to support the SAPS with armed peacekeeping in the Cape Flats.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

Batohi tells inquiry Chauke ignored evidence against Richard Mdluli

NATIONAL Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Shamila Batohi has told the Nkabinde inquiry that Gauteng Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Andrew Chauke “did not act as a reasonable prosecutor” when he withdrew murder and related charges against former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli despite overwhelming indications that the case should have proceeded.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

The Star

Is your sunscreen really safe?

Essential facts for summer skincare

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

PPC reassures investors: Zimbabwe import permits won’t impact cement volumes

PPC is unfazed by import permits granted in Zimbabwe, saying these will not affect its volumes in the country.

time to read

1 mins

November 28, 2025

The Star

The Star

DJ Dwson's rising international career: From South Africa to global stages

ASHWIN Julies, also known as DJ Dwson, a Cape Town-born producer, has had a watershed moment this year, with his recent exclusive Amsterdam performance cementing his position as one of South Africa's most innovative electronic artists.

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size