कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त

'More rate cuts likely as BSP shifts stance'

The Philippine Star

|

October 13, 2025

The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas may continue easing its policy settings in the coming months, as analysts said the BSP’s latest surprise rate cut marked a decisive shift toward a more dovish stance amid weakening business sentiment and governance concerns in public spending.

- KEISHA TA-ASAN

HSBC ASEAN economist Aris Dacanay said the BSP’s move to reduce the policy rate by 25 basis points (bps) to 4.75 percent, its lowest in three years, was unexpected, but “even more surprising was the dramatic shift in tone.”

He noted that the BSP’s latest statement acknowledged “moderating domestic demand,” a sharp contrast to its earlier view that demand remained firm.

The central bank attributed this change to weaker business confidence following corruption allegations in government flood control projects.

“In explaining the change in outlook, the BSP singled out the impact of the flood control corruption allegations on business confidence and expansion plans,” Dacanay said, citing the Monetary Board’s statement that “the favorable inflation outlook and moderating domestic demand provide room to further support economic activity.”

He said this could signal more rate cuts ahead, noting that BSP Governor Eli Remolona Jr. also disclosed that the central bank is reviewing its estimate of the neutral or “Goldilocks” rate, which is now between four and five percent, lower than previously assumed.

The Philippine Star से और कहानियाँ

The Philippine Star

Message from Alex

Tennis sensation Alex Eala sent a video message expressing her prautude for being named Co-Athlete of the Year during the San iguel Corp.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Roque: No Interpol red notice against me

Former presidential spokesman Harry Roque is confident that the Philippine government’s request for an Interpol red notice alert against him will not materialize.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Kidnapped businessman rescued; 3 suspects held

A businessman from Mandaluyong who was allegedly kidnapped and held for a P50-million ransom was rescued in Quezon City, the police Anti-Kidnapping Group reported yesterday.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

JDV laid to rest at Libingan

The country bade farewell yesterday to former speaker of the House of Representatives Jose de Venecia Jr. at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

'Oil price hikes open door for jeepney fare review'

Recent oil price hikes have \"opened the door\" for discussions on the petition for another jeepney fare hike, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) said yesterday.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Business leaders urged: Help solve classroom shortage

Warning that delays in infrastructure and limited digital access continue to constrain learning opportunities for millions of Filipino students, Education Secretary Sonny Angara yesterday called on business leaders to take a central role in addressing the country’s 165,000-classroom shortage and modernizing public schools.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Maya scaling up operations ahead of potential IPO foray

Digital financial services platform Maya remains focused on expanding its ecosystem, declining to confirm reports that it is considering an initial public offering (IPO) in the United States.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Suspect in 'chop-chop' case arrested in Pasay

One of the suspects in the murder of a man whose dismembered body was stuffed in a blue drum in Binondo, Manila was arrested yesterday.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

CHIBOG CHOW FESTIVAL CELEBRATES FILIPINO-CHINESE HERITAGE

Celebrate a full day of culture, entertainment, and discovery at the “Chibog Chow Festival: A Grand Philippines-China Food and Cultural Celebration,” with free admission on Feb. 21-22 at Robinsons Place Manila.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Cone focused on who's available

Gilas head coach Tim Cone said yesterday he’s avoiding distractions and his only focus is to get the available players ready for the second FIBA World Cup Asia qualifying window against New Zealand on Feb. 26 and Australia on March 1, both at the MOA Arena.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size