कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त

Prostate cancer test verdict blow

Nottingham Post

|

November 29, 2025

MEN with a known genetic risk should be screened for prostate cancer every two years, but population-wide testing is not recommended because of the “harms” of overdiagnosis and overtreatment, a committee advising the Government has said.

In a draft recommendation, the UK National Screening Committee said the main reason it was “not recommending whole population screening using the prostate specific antigen (PSA) test is that it is likely to cause more harm than good”.

Experts are waiting to see data from a large trial launched by Prostate Cancer UK last week into whether combining PSA with other tests, such as rapid MRI scans, could lead to a recommendation for population-wide screening.

Professor Sir Mike Richards, a former national cancer director and chairman of the UKNSC, told a briefing that modelling on PSA shows that “whole population screening may lead to a small reduction in prostate cancer deaths, but the very high levels of overdiagnosis” means harms outweigh the benefits.

Nottingham Post से और कहानियाँ

Nottingham Post

How to complain when you find yourself in car trouble...

YOUR CONSUMER RIGHTS CHAMPION

time to read

3 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Nottingham Post

Mandelson 'should never have been appointed'-Cooper

FOREIGN Secretary Yvette Cooper has suggested she was “angry” about the appointment of Peter Mandelson as Britain’s ambassador to Washington DC.

time to read

2 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Nottingham Post

Golden duo seal GB's best result

CHARLOTTE Bankes and Huw Nightingale roared to Great Britain’s best-ever result on snow at the Winter Olympics as they claimed a thrilling gold medal in mixed team snowboard cross.

time to read

1 min

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Health boss told staff he was 'fed up' at disruption caused by attacks inquiry

VICTIM'S FATHER SLAMS 'OFFENSIVE' COMMENTS

time to read

3 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Nottingham Post

Fountains switched on 'within the next year'

COUNCIL SAYS IT'S TIME TO SPEND TO MAKE NOTTINGHAM BETTER

time to read

2 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Valentine's Day 'disaster' as diners left waiting in the cold

ONE COUPLE WAITED FOR HOURS AND ENDED UP EATING SNACKS AT HOME

time to read

2 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Nottingham Post

'Living wall' dies in library delays

SHERWOOD IS STILL WAITING FOR OPENING TWO YEARS ON

time to read

2 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Medical students 'have to use food banks' and many look to drop out

STUDENTS training to be doctors at the University of Nottingham are having to use food banks amid rapidly rising costs, a leading union has said.

time to read

2 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Computer love

MARION MCMULLEN recalls the launch of The IT Crowd two decades ago

time to read

1 mins

February 16, 2026

Nottingham Post

Nottingham Post

Pictures of men police want to trace after assault in pub

A MAN's arm was broken in a pub assault and police have now released pictures of two men they want to trace.

time to read

1 min

February 16, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size