कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त
Govt scholarship budgets rise but beneficiaries decrease
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
|July 22, 2025
Central government scholarship schemes for the most marginalised student communities have recorded a consistent and unusual trend over the five years from 2019 to 2024, which also coincided with the ongoing implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020: Beneficiary numbers have sharply deciined while sanctioned budgets have remained steady or even increased.
This pattern is documented in official responses submitted to Parliament between July and November 2024, reports from a parliamentary committee, and annual data from the ministries of social justice and empowerment, tribal affairs, and minority affairs.
The ministry of social justice and empowerment (MoSJE) manages several key schemes exhibiting this alarming trend. Most strikingly, the central assistance for the post-matric scholarship for SC students almost doubled, from approximately 22,710 crore in 2019-20 to 25,475 crore in 2023-24. Paradoxically, the number of SC students benefitting fell by 12.7%, from 54.27 lakh to 47.39 lakh.
State-level data paints a grimmer picture: Uttar Pradesh saw funding increase by 3% while beneficiaries dropped by 30%% and Madhya Pradesh saw negligible growth of 1.94% in beneficiaries despite an increase in the funding of the state from 20 in 2019-20 to 236,680.48 lakh in 2023-24. Other MOoSJE schemes fared no better.
The National Fellowship for SC students saw fellowships nearly halve to 2,221 despite exceeding its sanctioned budget between 2019-20 and 2023-24. The Free Coaching Scheme for SCs and OBCs collapsed, serving only 223 students in 2023-24 compared to 1,345 five years prior. For OBC, EBC, and DNT students under the PM-YASASVI scheme, Post-matric beneficiaries fell from 40.94 lakh to 5.38 lakh before a partial recovery, with states like Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka reporting zero beneficiaries in intervening years. Pre-matric scholarships sawa fall from 94.52 lakh to 4.30 lakh recipients.
Earlier on July 7, HT reported that the ministry has issued provisional scholarship awards to less than half of those selected, or just 40 of the 106 candidates selected for its National Overseas Scholarship (NOS) for the forthcoming academic year, 2025-26. It has said that letters for the remaining 66 candidates “may be issued... subject to availability of funds”.
यह कहानी Hindustan Times Rajasthan के July 22, 2025 संस्करण से ली गई है।
हजारों चुनिंदा प्रीमियम कहानियों और 10,000 से अधिक पत्रिकाओं और समाचार पत्रों तक पहुंचने के लिए मैगज़्टर गोल्ड की सदस्यता लें।
क्या आप पहले से ही ग्राहक हैं? साइन इन करें
Hindustan Times Rajasthan से और कहानियाँ
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
UK’s new rules could put VPN age limits, end doomscrolling
The UK Government announced a crackdown on vile illegal content created by Artificial Intelligence, saying it will move swiftly to close a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to comply with illegal content duties under the “Online Safety Act” or face consequences for breaking law, ANI reported.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
UP to invoke hate crime charge in 2021 assault of Muslim man
The Uttar Pradesh government has agreed to invoke hate crime offences against the accused nearly five years Delhi man alleged that he was tortured, abused, and humiliated over his Muslim identity.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
Retd soldier kills wife, son; dies by suicide
A 52-year-old retired soldier alleged shot dead his 40-year-old wife and 16-year-old son following a domestic row before dying by suicide by jumping in front of a moving train in Sen Pashchim Para in Kanpur district, Uttar Pradesh, on Monday morning, police officers said.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
12 deaths in 15 days spark water contamination concerns in Hry
At least 12 people, including five children, have died in 15 days at Chayansa in Haryana’s Palwal, prompting a health department probe amid growing concerns about contaminated drinking water and infectious disease spread.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
New Chinese AI shocks Hollywood, spurs legal threats
BEIJING: A new artificial intelligence video generator from Beijing-based ByteDance, the creator of TikTok, is drawing the ire of Hollywood organisations that say Seedance 2.0 “blatantly” violates copyright and uses the likeness of actors and others without permission, AP reported.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
India at forefront of Al transformation: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said India stands at the forefront of the artificial intelligence transformation and its strides in Al reflect both ambition and responsibility.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
Exorcise ghosts of the past to reset ties with Dhaka
Not only must New Delhi ignore peripheral noises from both sides of the border, it must leverage the mutual need for stability and show openness to create a balanced and predictable bilateral framework
4 mins
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
Al Impact Summit kicks off with packed halls
The world’s largest artificial intelligence summit opened to packed halls and long queues on Monday, as tech moguls, industry leaders, policymakers, founders, and technologists thronged the venue for the conference, where India is set to push for widening access to Al and seek international agreement on global AI commons.
1 mins
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
Ex-US Prez Obama shuts down alien buzz and says there's no evidence they've made contact
Former US President Barack Obama said he did not see evidence that aliens “have made contact with us,” after sending social media abuzz by saying aliens were real on a podcast over the weekend.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Hindustan Times Rajasthan
PM MODI LIKELY TO VISIT ISRAEL, SAYS NETANYAHU
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Israel on a two-day visit from February 25 to 26, people aware of the matter said on Monday.
1 min
February 17, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
