कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त

'Voluntary compliance' to resolve encroachment upon beach

George Herald

|

December 04, 2025

A plan the George Council approved last year to deal with illegal encroachment by some front-dune properties upon public land on Wilderness Beach is based on voluntary cooperation by the property owners.

- Alida de Beer

Wilderness resident Dr Arne Witt, biodiversity specialist of the Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International (Cabi), raised his concerns about the rehabilitation of the foredune, on which many properties have been extended onto a municipal road reserve on the beach. He says the matter has been brought to the attention of the George Municipality on various occasions since 2017, but no action is taken. There is potential for municipal liability in case of property damage due to the rising sea levels, or personal injury due to infrastructure such as steps erected by property owners.

Witt says double standards seem to apply as law enforcement and the Wilderness Ratepayers and Residents Association (WRRA) recently demolished an illegal shack on the dunes. At the same time, some foredune property owners, especially those who cater for tourists, are benefitting from public land at the expense of the environment.

"Our approach has been to support voluntary compliance and to build cooperative relationships with landowners."

George Herald से और कहानियाँ

George Herald

George Herald

International teen pianist to play in George

The George Music Society invites all music lovers to its first concert for 2026.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

High court rules against ANC with costs

The Western Cape High Court has ruled against the ANC in a case involving political campaign material, ordering the party to pay the George Municipality's legal costs.

time to read

1 mins

George Herald

George Herald

Glenwood House celebrates 20 years

This year, Glenwood House proudly celebrates 20 years of heart, heritage and excellence in education.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

Low scores in SWD premier league

Die verdedigende kampioene, Union Stars I, het 'n nederlaag van 80 lopies gely in verlede naweek se SWD Premierliga-kompetisie teen hul Oudtshoorn-bure, die Harlequins Forces.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

George Herald

'No electricity increase without public input' - Mayor Johnson

No electricity tariff increases will be approved without a proper public participation process.

time to read

1 mins

George Herald

George Herald

George Herald

Elderly man robbed at ATM

A 77-year-old man was robbed at an Absa ATM at the Heather Park Shopping Centre at about 18:00 on Tuesday 10 February.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

George Herald

Vermeende kabeldief loop sy rieme styf

Twee mans in 'n wit Opel-motor is op Woensdag 4 Februarie in Pacaltsdorp deur munisipale wetstoepassers voorgekeer en gesteelde koperkabels is na bewering in die motor gevind.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

George Herald

Michael Lindt op 'Die Groot Ontbyt'

Aanhangers van die plaaslike sanger, Michael Lindt, kan op Maandag 23 Februarie op Die Groot Ontbyt-televisieprogram op kykNET inskakel.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

George Herald

Garden Route Badgers women stumble again

It was another tough weekend for the Garden Route Badgers women's team after they suffered defeats in both the Hollywoodbets Pro50 and Pro20 matches against the DP World Lions at the Dobsonville Oval in Johannesburg.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

George Herald

Registrations now open for 2026 Nedbank Gravel Burn

Cycling enthusiasts may now register for the Nedbank Gravel Burn 2026, one of South Africa's most spectacular gravel riding adventures.

time to read

1 min

George Herald

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size