कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Daily Voice
|February 17, 2026
Alles you need to know for when the cops unexpectedly stiek uit to raid your home
PROBLEM: Shuping says damage of property is outside lpid's mandate
WHEN police break down doors during raids, the damage can go beyond shattered locks.
Recent allegations in the Western Cape have raised questions about what the law actually allows when officers force entry.
In recent months, the Daily Voice has reported on several incidents where forced entries left mense with extensive property damage and unanswered questions.
In one case, a Hanover Park resident claimed that Anti-Gang Unit (AGU) officers trashed her huis during a raid, leaving her with broken doors and ransacked belongings.
Another incident saw a Kensington vrou accuse AGU members of trashing their home and torturing her berk and his friends during an operation, allegations that are now part of an ongoing investigation.
While police raids are often justified as necessary tools in the fight against gang violence and serious crime, the Constitution protects the privacy and property of residents. That raises an important question: what does the law actually allow when police force entry into a home?
DA MP Nicholas Gotsell, who previously practised as an attorney, said the general rule under the Criminal Procedure Act is that police must obtain a warrant before entering and searching a home, but there are exceptions.
Gotsell said: “Under the Criminal Procedure Act, police must usually obtain a warrant before entering and searching a home.
"However, there are exceptions. Police may enter without a warrant if the person in control of the property consents, or if there is urgency and the delay in obtaining a warrant would defeat the object of the search."
यह कहानी Daily Voice के February 17, 2026 संस्करण से ली गई है।
हजारों चुनिंदा प्रीमियम कहानियों और 10,000 से अधिक पत्रिकाओं और समाचार पत्रों तक पहुंचने के लिए मैगज़्टर गोल्ड की सदस्यता लें।
क्या आप पहले से ही ग्राहक हैं? साइन इन करें
Daily Voice से और कहानियाँ
Daily Voice
Beef in Stellies' McDonald's goes viral
POLICE have confirmed they are aware of a video circulating on social media showing a wilde brawl inside a McDonald’s restaurant in Stellenbosch during the early hours of Saturday morning - but no criminal case has been registered.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
Hunt set for debut at home
STELLENBOSCH FC coach Gavin Hunt is looking forward to returning to Danie Craven Stadium ahead of their Premiership clash against Magesi FC at 7.30pm tonight.
1 min
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
Doctor's autopsy stalls hof
THE murder trial against two ouens charged with the gruesome murder of Qasim Burton hit another snag after it was revealed that the doctor who conducted the postmortem is no longer able to testify.
1 min
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
'BABY FELL OUT OF INCUBATOR'
Hospital denies any negligence after ouers' social media claim
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
BOTTOMS UP
It's top v bottom as the Gunners tackle Wolves
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
THIS CITY WORKS...
But Kaap se record employment numbers mask weak job market
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
WORLD CUP STARTS NOW
Albie Morkel says tyd vir speletjies is verby, as Proteas gear up for UAE
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
'CR7 WOU NIE HOOR NIE'
CRISTIANO Ronaldo simply refused to follow Erik ten Hag’s instructions and that led to CR7’s explosive exit from Manchester United in November 2022, according to then-assistant coach Steve McClaren.
1 min
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
Pie dough
KEEP all your ingredients as cold as possible, especially the butter.
1 min
February 18, 2026
Daily Voice
KILLED ON HIS WAY TO WORK
Sister says Durbanville man's murder is 'unreal
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
