Essayer OR - Gratuit
Finally, reforms?
The Philippine Star
|August 15, 2025
SKETCHES
Livestreaming of the entire budget deliberations, including those in the Chamber of Secrets where all the hocus-pocus takes place, the bicameral conference. Civil society representatives, particularly those with budgeting expertise, sitting in as observers in the House budget deliberations. Are these sincere reforms in Congress, or mere token gestures?
Cut the lawmakers some slack, o ye of little faith; these are laudable moves for transparency. The proof of the pudding, however, would be how the 20th Congress handles the National Expenditure Program for 2026. Many of the lawmakers are the same folks responsible for mangling beyond recognition the NEP for this year, institutionalizing thievery and producing the most corrupt budget ever.
At this point, all the newfound commitment to transparency and accountability is still in the realm of OPM—oh promise me—as cringeworthy as lawmakers' lusty applause for President Marcos when he told them to their face, "mahiya naman kayo!"
BBM, stressing that he's not (yet) accusing anybody, nevertheless released a list of the top 15 contractors who have been blessed with the lion's share of flood control projects since 2022. This was juxtaposed with a list of the places that have suffered the worst flooding in the past three years.
Since jumping to conclusions is a national pastime, of course the malicious-minded among us computed one plus one equals two, and inferred the message in BBM's non-accusatory lists.
We eagerly await the privilege speech next week of Sen. Panfilo Lacson, who says he has been inundated with tips about anomalies since the launch of BBM's "sumbongsapangulo" website.
Cette histoire est tirée de l'édition August 15, 2025 de The Philippine Star.
Abonnez-vous à Magzter GOLD pour accéder à des milliers d'histoires premium sélectionnées et à plus de 9 000 magazines et journaux.
Déjà abonné ? Se connecter
PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
GoTyme Bank tops Visa debit market in Phl
GoTyme Bank has emerged as the most used Visa debit card issuer in the Philippines, highlighting rapid growth in digital payments adoption as the lender continued to expand its customer base and transaction volumes in 2025.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Toyota Gazoo Racing sweeps Monte Carlo podium in the 2026 WRC
Follows up with 1-2-3-4 finish in WRC Round 2 in Sweden
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
The first time my brothers & I travelled abroad together
For my four brothers and me, our recent trip to Taiwan was like a trip around the world.
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Megaworld investing P10 B for new malls
Property giant Megaworld Corp. is investing around P10 billion to scale up its retail portfolio, with new malls to be developed in Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite and Bacolod.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
CBCP: Limit political dynasties to 2 relatives
Only two family members should be allowed to hold elective positions, according to a joint statement by church-based groups yesterday.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
2 Manila cops sacked for blocking motorists
Two members of the Manila Police District (MPD) have been relieved from their posts after a viral video showed them in a patrol car blocking motorists at a traffic light along Taft Avenue.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
High gold prices lift OceanaGold earnings
Australian-Canadian miner OceanaGold Philippines Inc. (OGPI) struck strong results last year, with earnings more than doubled amid soaring gold prices.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
US lingerie CEO says he was 'conned' by Epstein
Retail tycoon Les Wexner told US lawmakers on Wednesday he was \"conned\" by Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of his crimes, as Democrats pressed him over his decades-long relationship with the notorious sex offender.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang
Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Palace: Rody’s ICC turnover lawful
The Philippine government's decision to turn over former president Rodrigo Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) was lawful, Malacañang maintained yesterday, after the erstwhile chief executive claimed he was sent to The Hague “in flagrant contravention” of the Constitution and national sovereignty.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
