Facebook Pixel Cyberattack wipes over £650m off M&S valuation | The Independent - newspaper - Lisez cet article sur Magzter.com

Essayer OR - Gratuit

Cyberattack wipes over £650m off M&S valuation

The Independent

|

April 29, 2025

Hundreds of agency workers at Marks Spencer have been told not to come into work as the retailer continues to deal with the fallout of a cyberattack which has seen the company lose more than 650m of value in a matter of days.

- ATHENA STAVROU

Cyberattack wipes over £650m off M&S valuation

The FTSE 100 business has a market capitalisation of more than £7.5bn – but this is down significantly since 22 April, when shares traded for above £4.10. The firm’s share price fell by 2.5 per cent yesterday morning and is down almost 10 per cent over the past week.

Staff have been instructed to stay at home rather than come into work at the retailer’s main clothing and homeware warehouse in the East Midlands, Sky News has reported.

Some 200 agency staff had been due to work at the Castle Donington logistics centre, the broadcaster reported, citing a source close to M&S. Agency staff make up around 20 per cent of the site’s workforce, the source said, adding that M&S employees were told to come in as usual.

M&S have been contacted for a comment.

Disruption at M&S began last weekend as contactless payments and click-and-collect orders were affected.

PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE The Independent

The Independent

The Independent

Scotland have dragons to slay, not all of them Welsh

Winning in Cardiff and backing up big performances against England have seen the Scots struggle historically, writes Harry Latham-Coyle - do Wales have hope of a shock win?

time to read

4 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Everything about our armed forces is yesterday's war

In a recent military exercise, British armoured vehicles were wiped out by drones. Owen Matthews charts the changing face of war and a wake-up call for an ill-equipped Nato

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Romeo announced as first female head of civil service

Sir Keir Starmer has appointed Dame Antonia Romeo as Britain's first female cabinet secretary and head of the civil service.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

'She's the queen of Ireland

Marian Keyes has sold more than 35 million books, but only now has one reached the screen. Annabel Nugent hears how her 1995 novel 'The Walsh Sisters' was finally adapted

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Mountbatten-Windsor held as police raid royal homes

'Our broken hearts have been lifted with the news that no one is above the law - not even royalty,' says Giuffre's family

time to read

4 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

‘The joy is still there but it now carries grief within it’

Two years of war have left much of Gaza in ruins. As the holy month of Ramadan begins, the UN warns that conditions on the ground are the worst they have seen.

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Mummy would be horrified by how far this son has fallen

Sixty-six years ago, the first prince “born in the purple” arrived at Buckingham Palace, the first royal baby born to a reigning Queen since Princess Beatrice was born to Queen Victoria in 1857.

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Magnificent obsession now harming Arsenal's title run

Mikel Arteta’s desire to control every single detail is the reason they are top of the table, writes Miguel Delaney. It is also exhausting, and could become a problem in the run-in

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Mandelson consultancy set to fold after clients cut ties

The consultancy firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson is preparing to enter administration as early as today, it has emerged.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Independent

The Independent

Trump uses Board of Peace speech to threaten Tehran

US president Donald Trump said Iran must reach an agreement with the United States on curbing its nuclear programme or risk “bad things”, as he addressed a meeting of his fledgling Board of Peace, at which he touted his efforts in ending Israel’s war in Gaza.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size