Facebook Pixel "They hit everything' Thousands flee villages as bombs start to fall | The Guardian - newspaper - Lisez cet article sur Magzter.com

Essayer OR - Gratuit

"They hit everything' Thousands flee villages as bombs start to fall

The Guardian

|

September 25, 2024

Hassan waited until the last minute to flee. As Israeli warplanes thundered overhead and bombs began to fall on the forests surrounding his hometown of Deir al-Zahrani in south Lebanon on Monday morning, he told himself he still had some time.

- William Christou

"They hit everything' Thousands flee villages as bombs start to fall

For almost a year, the town, 12 miles from the border, had been mostly spared from the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah that had engulfed much of south Lebanon.

The bombs grew closer. His neighbours began to get calls from unknown numbers with a pre-recorded message, the voice speaking classical Arabic with a strange accent: "If you are in a building where there are Hezbollah weapons, distance yourself from the village." Hassan had no idea if the homes around him had weapons in them. Houses in the village began to get hit.

"Civilians, houses, they hit everything. When they started striking civilians, we had to flee. A few of my relatives were killed," Hassan, 23, said, sitting in a school in Dekwaneh, a suburb north of Beirut, which had been converted into a shelter for displaced people less than 24 hours earlier.

Dier al-Zahrani was no longer safe as Israel carried out a devastating aerial barrage on wide swathes of south Lebanon and the Bekaa Valley that killed 558, injured 1,835 and forced tens of thousands to flee their homes.

It was Lebanon's deadliest day in almost 50 years, with the death toll in the fighting between Hezbollah and Israel in October more than 1,200, exceeding that of the brutal 2006 war between the two.

Hassan and six other members of his family grabbed a few possessions, crammed into a BMW sedan and headed towards Beirut.

"We were telling ourselves that maybe it would stop, maybe there would be something that let us stay. But we found nothing that stopped us from leaving," he said.

PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Semenyo's 'surreal' journey hits new heights as Cup hero

From Wiltshire to Wembley, the City winger is enjoying a remarkable rise but expects a ‘kicking’ at Bournemouth

time to read

3 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

In-demand Silva stays non-committal on his future

The Fulham manager, Marco Silva, insisted he had not made a decision on his future after his side’s European hopes were all but extinguished by yesterday’s 1-1 draw at relegated Wolves.

time to read

1 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

WHO chief declares emergency over Ebola outbreak

An Ebola outbreak in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo is a “public health emergency of international concern”, the World Health Organization said yesterday.

time to read

3 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Burnham facing ‘perilous’ race in crunch byelection

Battle for Makerfield set to be dominated by Brexit and immigration

time to read

4 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

Sons of jailed scholars urge Cambridge to halt Saudi deal

The families of two scholars facing the death penalty in Saudi Arabia have appealed to the University of Cambridge to drop proposals to run staff training courses for Riyadh's defence ministry.

time to read

1 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Resolve of Red Roses in latest glory must not be overlooked

There are a couple of reasons why England's latest Six Nations grand slam is worthy of glowing appreciation.

time to read

3 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Music review Genuinely charismatic star pulls off one of the hardest tricks in pop

Midway through the opening night of his world tour, Harry Styles asks where the audience in the Johan Cruijff Arena have come from.

time to read

3 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Alonso signs four-year deal to manage Chelsea

Chelsea have confirmed the appointment of Xabi Alonso as their new manager. The Spaniard has signed a four-year deal and will start work in pre-season. He becomes the sixth permanent manager of the BlueCo era.

time to read

1 min

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

‘A punch to the stomach’ Rankin and the fight to bring back the assisted dying bill

Just before Christmas 2023, the British photographer and director Rankin set up a small pop-up studio in London’s Carnaby Street for a RankinLIVE event.

time to read

3 mins

May 18, 2026

The Guardian

Tigers have new sense of unity, says Heyes

Joe Heyes began his post-match press conference speaking about scoring on his 100th Leicester start and ended it waxing lyrical about butchering wild animals with his teammates.

time to read

3 mins

May 18, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size