Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Obtenez un accès illimité à plus de 9 000 magazines, journaux et articles Premium pour seulement

$149.99
 
$74.99/Année

Essayer OR - Gratuit

Massive fire hits Mandaue

The Freeman

|

March 25, 2025

A massive fire that broke out in Zone Sili and Zone Talong, Barangay Paknaan, Mandaue City, on the night of Sunday, March 23, 2025, has displaced at least 805 individuals, marking it as the largest fire incident in the city this March.

- Kristin de Dios, Mitchelle Palaubsanon Staff members

Massive fire hits Mandaue

Tragically, the response to the fire also resulted in the death of a motorcyclist who collided with a responding firetruck.

Fire Officer 1 (FO1) Neil Amancio of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Mandaue confirmed that the fire started at 7:34 p.m. in a two-storey house.

The blaze quickly escalated to a fourth alarm due to the high density of light-material structures in the area, eventually damaging over 6,000 square meters and destroying 177 houses. One house was partially damaged.

"Mao ni pinakadako so far," Amancio told reporters on March 24, 2025, referring to the scale of the fire compared to three others earlier this month in Barangays Mantuyong, Ibabao, and Canduman.

Firefighters responded at 7:35 p.m. and escalated the fire to the second alarm at 7:44 p.m., then to the third alarm at 7:55 p.m. By 8:04 p.m., the fire had reached the fourth alarm as flames spread rapidly to neighboring houses.

A total of 29 firetrucks from Mandaue City and neighboring cities—including Lapu-Lapu, Cebu, Danao, and Talisay—along with volunteer groups such as the Mandaue Filipino-Chinese Volunteer Brigade and Alegado Rescue Fire Volunteer, were deployed.

Firefighters faced significant challenges, including narrow roads and blocked pathways. Some residents, in their panic, cut hoses and threw stones at firefighters.

“During the start sa firefighting operations namo gipamato mi…so na disrupt gyud ang among operations kagabie,” Amancio said.

He shared that desperate residents tried to take control of the firefighting efforts, even grabbing hoses from firefighters as they saw their homes being engulfed in flames.

However, with the help of the Philippine National Police (PNP), order was restored. Residents eventually cooperated with authorities, forming a bucket relay to help extinguish the flames.

PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE The Freeman

The Freeman

THE CHRISTMAS TREE OF HOPE

It was already the holiday season, but the air in Barangay San Isidro didn't smell of roasted ham or sweet bibingka. Instead, it smelled of mud, damp clothes, and the faint scent of loss. Typhoon Tino had swept through the town just weeks before, leaving behind broken homes and shattered memories. Families now lived under rows of tents lined along the barangay road, just by the river.

time to read

2 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

Gilas obliterates Guam in opener of World Cup qualifiers

Gilas Pilipinas blew past debuting Guam, 87-46, for a rousing start in its FIBA World Cup Asian qualifiers campaign last Friday night.

time to read

1 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

The Freeman

NEVER HURT YOUR MOTHER

I came by a very simple but profound post one evening while I was scrolling on Facebook: \"Never hurt your mother.

time to read

2 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

Moldova closes airspace after fresh drone breach

Moldova, which borders Ukraine, closed its airspace for about an hour overnight after a new drone incursion, its defense ministry said Saturday.

time to read

1 min

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

Cebu Province recognized for info initiatives

In its commitment to transparency and public access to information, the Cebu Provincial Government has been honored at the 2025 Freedom of Information (FOI) Awards for being among the newly-recognized local government units (LGUs).

time to read

2 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

Lancers brighten up Top 2 bid

The three-time defending champions University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers pulled a repeat 81-68 performance over the University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars to bolster their Top 2 campaign in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. (CESAFI) Season 25 basketball tournament on Friday night, November 28, at the Cebu Coliseum.

time to read

1 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

Ukraine Embassy slams Russia's claim of Filipino recruitment for war

The Ukraine Embassy in Manila categorically denied Russia's allegation that Filipinos are being recruited to fight alongside Ukrainian troops, calling the accusation a \"baseless fabrication\" and part of Moscow's broader disinformation efforts in Southeast Asia.

time to read

2 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

The Freeman

Coco, Jake share action scene tips to Roja stars

Donny Pangilinan and Kyle Echarri are painting the country red as their new Kapamilya action-drama series, \"Roja,\" claimed the number one spot on Netflix Philippines' Top TV Shows after its November 21 premiere.

time to read

1 mins

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

Voting for PBA Season 50 All-Star begins Dec. 5

Voting for the PBA Season 50 All-Star game begins when action in the Philippine Cup resumes on December 5.

time to read

1 min

November 30, 2025

The Freeman

'The Drift' shows Cebuano horror cinema can have global appeal

After six months of production earlier this year, the Cebuano horror film \"The Drift,\" produced by Dark Horse Film Productions and Nathiña Film Productions, premiered November 16 at SM Seaside Cinema, where the Centerstage theater was met with shrieks and applause over the film's intense scenes.

time to read

3 mins

November 30, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size