Versuchen GOLD - Frei

Battles continue in Russian border region for third day

The Straits Times

|

August 09, 2024

Russia says Kyiv’s advance halted; Zelensky aide says Moscow to blame for incursion

Battles continue in Russian border region for third day

Russian forces were battling Ukrainian troops for a third day on Aug 8 after they smashed through the Russian border in the Kursk region, an audacious attack on the world's biggest nuclear power that has forced Moscow to call in reserves.

In one of the biggest Ukrainian attacks on Russia of the two-year war, around 1,000 Ukrainian troops rammed through the Russian border in the early hours of Aug 6 with tanks and armoured vehicles, covered in the air by swarms of drones and pounding artillery, according to Russian officials.

Ukrainian forces swept through the fields and forests of the border towards the north of Sudzha, a town of around 5,000 inhabitants located 8km from the Ukrainian border.

It is the last operational transshipping point for Russian natural gas to Europe via Ukraine.

President Vladimir Putin cast the attack as a "major provocation".

The White House said the United States - Ukraine's biggest backer had no prior knowledge of the attack and would seek more details from Kyiv.

Russia's most senior general, Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov, told Mr Putin on Aug 7 that the Ukrainian offensive had been halted in the border area.

Russia's Defence Ministry said on Aug 8 that the army and the Federal Security Service (FSB) had halted the Ukrainian advance and were battling Ukrainian units in the Kursk region.

"Units of the Northern group of forces, together with the FSB of Russia, continue to destroy armed formations of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the Sudzhensky and Korenevsky districts of the Kursk region, directly adjacent to the Russian-Ukrainian border," the ministry said.

It said Ukraine had lost 82 armoured vehicles, including eight tanks in the attack.

The Ukrainian army has remained silent on the Kursk offensive. But an aide to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Moscow was to blame for the incursion.

WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

What Is With...Wuthering Heights and other Hollywood press tour 'showmances'?

On- and off-screen “mutual obsession” between lead actors Margot Robbie and Jacob Elordi draws mixed reactions

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

Airbus says engine supply woes holding back aircraft production, deliveries

Airbus said the lack of reliable engine supplies for its A320 family of jets is holding back production and aircraft deliveries, extending the planemaker’s struggles to meet record demand for its bestselling model.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

South Korea’s ex-president Yoon gets life term for insurrection

Prosecutors had sought death penalty in case arising from ex-leader’s martial law bid

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

Families • Reframe parenthood for a new generation

I refer to the Opinion piece \"Will an endowment of $300,000 per child move the needle?\" (Feb 16).

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

Cool clothes a hot topic

As temperatures rise and interest in heatwear increases, South-east Asian designers are proving that they are adept at balancing heat and style

time to read

9 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

US military moves into place for possible strikes on Iran

But any attack would lead to retaliation against Israel and US forces in the region

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

An iron fist in a velvet glove: Rubio's message on US-Europe ties

Despite the softer tone of his Munich speech, the harsh reality for Europe is that it has become a tiresome burden for the US and has very limited strategic options.

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

Satellite images show Iran repairing and fortifying sites

Satellite images show that Iran has recently built a concrete shield over a new facility at a sensitive military site and covered it in soil, experts say, advancing work at a location reportedly bombed by Israel in 2024, amid tensions with the US.

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

Why the US and Iran are readying for a historic showdown

As a massive American armada heads towards Iran, both Trump and Khamenei are gambling on conflict to achieve their aims.

time to read

7 mins

February 20, 2026

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

Amid global divides, Chinese community must stay rooted in multiculturalism, shared values: DPM Gan

With the world increasingly divided and uncertain, it is especially important that the Chinese community's cultural identity is firmly anchored in Singapore's multicultural society, shared principles and common future, said Deputy Prime Minister Gan Kim Yong.

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size