Versuchen GOLD - Frei

'Independent republics' regroup

The Philippine Star

|

September 10, 2025

COMMONSENSE

- MARICHU A. VILLANUEVA

'Independent republics' regroup

For the third time, Senator Vicente "Tito" Sotto III assumed as Senate President. Following the traditional transition of leadership, erstwhile Senate president Francis "Chiz" Escudero stepped down after 15 senators, including Sotto, declared vacant the Senate's top post. A veteran lawmaker, Sotto took over as the new Senate president of the 20th Congress.

A shake-up of other Senate posts followed suit. Sen. Panfilo Lacson was elected new Senate president pro tempore, replacing Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, while Sen. Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri was installed as new Senate majority leader, vice Sen. Joel Villanueva.

Sotto's return as Senate President capped his successful comeback in the Upper Chamber after winning in the last midterm elections. Sotto was first elected as Senate minority leader of the 20th Congress. It is now full circle for Sotto. He rose from the ranks at the Senate, so to speak, first as neophyte Senator on his first term in the 9th Congress. Fresh from his stint as vice mayor of Quezon City, Sotto topped the Senate elections in 1992. Re-elected several times at the Senate, he later got elected as Senate majority leader at one time. He first got elected as Senate president in a term-sharing agreement with then Sen. Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III in the 17th and 18th Congresses.

As early as over the weekend, a Senate resolution asking Escudero to step down in favor of Sotto was already going around for signature of senators. As far as he knows, Sotto disclosed the first four signatories were Senators Zubiri, Lacson, Loren Legarda and Risa Hontiveros.

From then on, Escudero's alliance with the same Senate majority bloc who supported his leadership slowly dissipated.

WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

GoTyme Bank tops Visa debit market in Phl

GoTyme Bank has emerged as the most used Visa debit card issuer in the Philippines, highlighting rapid growth in digital payments adoption as the lender continued to expand its customer base and transaction volumes in 2025.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Toyota Gazoo Racing sweeps Monte Carlo podium in the 2026 WRC

Follows up with 1-2-3-4 finish in WRC Round 2 in Sweden

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

The first time my brothers & I travelled abroad together

For my four brothers and me, our recent trip to Taiwan was like a trip around the world.

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Megaworld investing P10 B for new malls

Property giant Megaworld Corp. is investing around P10 billion to scale up its retail portfolio, with new malls to be developed in Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite and Bacolod.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

CBCP: Limit political dynasties to 2 relatives

Only two family members should be allowed to hold elective positions, according to a joint statement by church-based groups yesterday.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

2 Manila cops sacked for blocking motorists

Two members of the Manila Police District (MPD) have been relieved from their posts after a viral video showed them in a patrol car blocking motorists at a traffic light along Taft Avenue.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

High gold prices lift OceanaGold earnings

Australian-Canadian miner OceanaGold Philippines Inc. (OGPI) struck strong results last year, with earnings more than doubled amid soaring gold prices.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

US lingerie CEO says he was 'conned' by Epstein

Retail tycoon Les Wexner told US lawmakers on Wednesday he was \"conned\" by Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of his crimes, as Democrats pressed him over his decades-long relationship with the notorious sex offender.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang

Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Palace: Rody’s ICC turnover lawful

The Philippine government's decision to turn over former president Rodrigo Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) was lawful, Malacañang maintained yesterday, after the erstwhile chief executive claimed he was sent to The Hague “in flagrant contravention” of the Constitution and national sovereignty.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size