Versuchen GOLD - Frei
THE GREAT WALL OF INDIA-CHINA AGREEMENTS
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
|December 06, 2024
First came decades of talks and pacts starting in 1993. Then came a 54-month standoff. Now that a new beginning is being signaled, what happens to the earlier covenants?
A conference on geopolitics, a Chinese participant made a rather interesting—if not intriguing—pitch in the context of the 54-month-long standoff on the Line of Actual Control (LAC). He said that both India and China needed to make a new beginning, while referring to the process of disengagement that has been playing out intermittently over the past four years. It provoked a thought where it would leave the rather carefully constructed architecture of agreements that had been put into place to manage the LAC between 1993 and 2013 across different Indian and Chinese administrations.
To provide a bit of perspective, the Sino-Indian relationship went into a deep freeze after the border war of 1962. It was marked by periodic clashes and prolonged standoffs like the ones at Nathu La in 1967 and Somdurong Chu in 1986-87. In 1988, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi broke the ice when he visited Beijing in December and met with the Chinese leadership, including Deng Xiaoping. However, it was only in 1993 that the first pact with China, titled Border Peace and Tranquility Agreement, came to be signed. It was followed in 1996 with the Agreement on Confidence Building Measures. In June 2003, during Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee's visit to China, the Declaration on Principles for Relations and Comprehensive Cooperation between the Republic of India and the People's Republic of China was arrived at along with a memorandum between the governments on expanding border trade. It was during this visit that the Special Representatives Mechanism on the India-China boundary issue was also set up.
Diese Geschichte stammt aus der December 06, 2024-Ausgabe von The New Indian Express Bengaluru.
Abonnieren Sie Magzter GOLD, um auf Tausende kuratierter Premium-Geschichten und über 9.000 Zeitschriften und Zeitungen zuzugreifen.
Sie sind bereits Abonnent? Anmelden
WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON The New Indian Express Bengaluru
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Court can sit till midnight to deliver justice to poor litigants, says CJI
CHIEF Justice of India Surya Kant on Friday said there will be no \"luxury litigation\" in his court as his priority is to ensure justice for poor litigants, emphasising that if required, he will hold the court till midnight for them.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Militants open fire at Manipur Army jawans
A patrolling team of the Assam Rifles came under a hail of bullets fired by suspected militants in Manipur's Tengnoupal district along the India-Myanmar border early on Friday.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Inside RCB's squad construction for upcoming season of WPL
AROUND 6.50 PM on Thursday, during the Women's Premier League auction, a bidding war between Royal Challengers Bengaluru and UP Warriorz (UPW) caught the attention of everyone in the room. RCB, with ₹2.8 crore in their purse, and UPW (₹3.85 crore) - both had ten players in their squads - were going toe-to-toe to sign Shikha Pandey and not worried about breaking the bank.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
SMAT: Dhull stars as Delhi beat TN
YASH Dhull made an explosive fifty, leading Delhi to a thrilling victory over Tamil Nadu in a Group D match of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy match on Friday.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Aadhaar no longer valid as date of birth document: Yogi issues orders to depts
THE Uttar Pradesh government has issued directives against Aadhaar card being considered as the proof of birth date. On November 24, the state planning department, through a circular, directed all the department heads against the use of Aadhaar cards as birth proof.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
India vs SA: Focus on team combo ahead of 1st ODI
RISHABH Pant's place in the playing eleven is far from guaranteed, while Washington Sundar and Nitish Kumar Reddy are locked in a tight contest for the additional all-rounder's slot as India confront several selection dilemmas ahead of the first ODI versus South Africa.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Hindu neighbour in Jammu gifts land to Muslim man whose home was razed
IN a heartwarming display of compassion and communal harmony, a Hindu resident of Jammu, Kuldip Sharma, gifted five marlas of land to a Muslim journalist Arfaz Daing, whose house was demolished during an anti-encroachment drive by Jammu Development Authority (JDA) a day earlier.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Encroachments put J’khand ‘queen of hills’ at risk
NETARHAT, long celebrated as the \"queen of hills\" in Jharkhand, is facing rapid, unchecked construction that residents and conservationists say violates SC guidelines meant to protect Eco-Sensitive Zones (ESZ).
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
Don’t spread misinformation, EC says, trashes Didi charges
Poll panel seeks claims, objections after Dec 9 when draft list is shared
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The New Indian Express Bengaluru
India is voice of balance & responsibility, won’t back down on security: Rajnath
India is shaping global discussions of today with a sense of responsibility, strategic autonomy, and confidence rooted in civilisational values
1 min
November 29, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

