Versuchen GOLD - Frei
'Spectacular' vision for derelict wasteland near Newcastle Quayside
The Journal
|August 20, 2025
A £120M cash injection to kickstart a revamp of one of the most prominent pieces of derelict land in the North East has been hailed as “the beginning of something huge”.
The Government announced on Tuesday that it had signed off on a huge public funding package for the Quayside West development near Newcastle city centre.
That money will pay for the remediation of contaminated land on what was previously the home of the Calders leadworks, but has long been a disused wasteland seen every day by thousands of people crossing the Tyne by road or rail.
Some 1,100 homes are planned for the area, which is next to the Utilita Arena, though leaders have cautioned that the regeneration works could take 15 years to complete.
It is hoped that confirmation of the £121.8m deal, which will also fund demolition and clearance works at the site as well as access improvements, will attract a private developer to come on board.
Newcastle City Council leader Karen Kilgour told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that the Quayside West plot, the largest parcel of land in the wider Forth Yards area to the west of the city centre, was “complicated” but could become a “huge success”.
She said: “I think we need to be realistic. This is a long-term, 15-year programme until we see completion of the site. But what this money means is that we can start the remediation of the site, we can decontaminate it, we can put the infrastructure in, that means that building can start.
Diese Geschichte stammt aus der August 20, 2025-Ausgabe von The Journal.
Abonnieren Sie Magzter GOLD, um auf Tausende kuratierter Premium-Geschichten und über 9.000 Zeitschriften und Zeitungen zuzugreifen.
Sie sind bereits Abonnent? Anmelden
WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON The Journal
The Journal
Barcelona stays on F1 calendar
FORMULA ONE Barcelona will continue to host Formula
1 min
February 17, 2026
The Journal
Rare bird thief ‘will fight to clear name until I die’
He made legal history when he became the first person in Britain to be jailed for stealing rare birds.
2 mins
February 17, 2026
The Journal
New centre treats 1,500 in a fortnight
ABOUT 1,500 pupils were treated at a new urgent treatment centre (UTC) at a Newcastle hospital in its first two weeks.
1 mins
February 17, 2026
The Journal
Employment Rights Act could ‘act as a handbrake’ on hiring
THE government's new package of employment rights will put a brake on hiring, according to a new report, as businesses worry about the possible risks and costs.
1 mins
February 17, 2026
The Journal
England gain 'confidence' from Italy scare
CRICKET
1 mins
February 17, 2026
The Journal
30 years on, I'm still determined to clear my name
Northumberland man who was first person in Britain to be jailed for stealing rare birds will not give up fight to prove his innocence
1 min
February 17, 2026
The Journal
Home truths talk a team 'reset' – Burn
NEWCASTLE United's Dan Burn has revealed how the meeting held by senior stars has helped give the Magpies' season a much-needed shot in the arm.
2 mins
February 17, 2026
The Journal
Racial abuse of Edogbo probed
RUGBY UNION The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) is investigating \"cowardly\" racist abuse directed at Edwin Edogbo following his international debut.
1 min
February 17, 2026
The Journal
League at weekend after error-filled Magpies FA Cup game
CHRIS Kavanagh has not been appointed to referee a Premier League game this weekend after a series of errors during Newcastle's FA Cup win at Aston Villa last Saturday.
2 mins
February 17, 2026
The Journal
More to come says gold star Weston
WINTER OLYMPICS
2 mins
February 17, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
