Versuchen GOLD - Frei
Frustration, but flyover demolition set to begin
The Journal
|October 15, 2025
GATESHEAD’S council leader has admitted to “frustration” over the time it will take to tear down the town’s doomed flyover, after demolition plans stretching well into 2026 were confirmed.
The A167 Gateshead Highway flyover has been closed since December 2024 due to concerns about the safety of the crumbling concrete structure.
After months of waiting, council bosses announced yesterday that a multi-million pound demolition programme will begin next week, October 20.
But the derelict Computer House building next to the flyover will have to be torn down first, meaning that the removal of the flyover itself will not start until early next year.
It is hoped that contractors BAM Nuttall and Thompsons of Prudhoe will have the flyover demolition largely complete by next May, though local authority officials are already cautioning that further delays are possible.
Labour council leader Martin Gannon told the Local Democracy Reporting Service yesterday that he had put “enormous pressure” on civic centre officers over the last 10 months and that “nobody has been more frustrated than me” about the deserted highway’s continuing presence looming over the town.
Coun Gannon, who had pledged in March that the flyover would be “gone within a year” said: “There are plenty of examples around the country and internationally where a demolition of this scale would take four or five years to plan and put through.
Diese Geschichte stammt aus der October 15, 2025-Ausgabe von The Journal.
Abonnieren Sie Magzter GOLD, um auf Tausende kuratierter Premium-Geschichten und über 9.000 Zeitschriften und Zeitungen zuzugreifen.
Sie sind bereits Abonnent? Anmelden
WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON The Journal
The Journal
Armed response to toy sword
A MAN carrying a “plastic toy sword” caused armed police to swarm on a coastal town in Northumberland.
1 min
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Warner Bros reopens its sale talks with Paramount
WARNER Bros Discovery has resumed talks with Paramount Skydance, reigniting the takeover battle with Netflix for one of Hollywood’s most sought-after studios.
1 min
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Eagles hope to fly after 10 day block of training
AFTER a 10-day break, the Newcastle Eagles return to the court tonight in Manchester looking to break a five-match SLB Championship losing streak.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Curran is the man for the big moment
SAM Curran is once again proving to be England's man when the pressure is on at the T20 World Cup after helping them negotiate a trickier-than-anticipated group stage.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Mercury Prize is set to return to Newcastle after success of last year
Newcastle will stage the prestigious Mercury Prize for the second year running after the spectacular success of the 2025 ceremony.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Three men deny murder of 23-year-old
THREE men have denied murdering a 23-year-old who died in a collision at a petrol station.
1 min
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Australia out after rain dashes Irish hopes
Australia are out of the T20 World Cup after Zimbabwe's decisive clash with Ireland in Pallekele was washed out.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
HORSE POWER Molto Bene should prove too good for her rivals at Ludlow
MOLTO
1 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Minister backs campaign to help small businesses
A GOVERNMENT Minister has backed a campaign starting in the North East to help SMEs find the right advice and become “investor ready”.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Finance boss stole £35k from firm
A MOTHER stole nearly £35,000 from the Tyneside family business where she worked as finance manager, a court heard.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
