Facebook Pixel How Vinicius became repeated target of racist abuse | Cape Argus – newspaper – Lesen Sie diese Geschichte auf Magzter.com

Versuchen GOLD - Frei

How Vinicius became repeated target of racist abuse

Cape Argus

|

February 19, 2026

VINICIUS Junior scored a brilliant goal but the focus after Real Madrid’s win at Benfica on Tuesday was on another incident of alleged racist abuse aimed at the Brazilian.

How Vinicius became repeated target of racist abuse

The Champions League playoff first leg was halted for 10 minutes with the players leaving the pitch after Vinicius told referee Francois Letexier that Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni had called him a “monkey”.

The 20-year-old Argentine midfielder, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.

Vinicius has become a lightning rod for racist abuse after arriving in the Spanish capital in 2018 from Flamengo.

The 25-year-old has been targeted in many high-profile incidents, mostly within Spain.

In January 2023, Atletico fans hung an effigy of Vinicius from a bridge near Real Madrid’s training ground.

Four months later Vinicius squared off with fans abusing him at Valencia’s Mestalla stadium, in an incident which gained him worldwide support in his battle against racism.

“Tm not a victim of racism. I am a tormentor of racists,’ wrote Vinicius on social media platform X in 2024, after three Valencia fans were found guilty of abusing him that day.

WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON Cape Argus

Cape Argus

Cape Argus

Ellis Park run must power Lions’ playoff charge

SIX consecutive home games, no European distractions and a squad at near full strength just in time for a decisive push.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Van Sensie’s family outraged by suspect’s R1 000 bail release

THE family of Louisa van Sensie are devastated after her suspected killer was released on bail of R100.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

N2 gun scare reignites debate on highway safety

AN ARMED incident on the N2 near Mew Way on Wednesday afternoon has renewed scrutiny of highway safety, prompting sharp exchanges between the City of Cape Town and the Freedom Front Plus over policing visibility and proposed infrastructure measures.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Ramaphosa defends B-BBEE

PRESIDENT Cyril Ramaphosa yesterday took aim at some partners in the Government of National Unity (GNU), saying the government was committed to redressing the injustices of the past.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Pam Andrews quits acting for content creation

PAM

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Viral video of snake sale sparks CapeNature investigation

A VIRAL video showing a man selling a live snake at the corner of Swartklip and Spine roads has prompted an investigation by CapeNature.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Bogus tour guides threaten Langa's tourism industry

A KWALANGA tour guide has raised alarm over what he describes as a growing number of bogus guides operating in the area, stating that this trend is damaging the township tourism industry and undermining legitimate operators.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

British couple held in Iran sentenced to 10 years

A BRITISH couple detained in Iran since January last year have been sentenced to 10 years in jail for espionage, their family announced yesterday, prompting condemnation from the UK government.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Kirstenbosch Concert and Chinese New Year Market

KIRSTENBOSCH Concerts: Vusi Mahlasela & Jabulile Majola

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

Cape Argus

Cape Argus

Paternity rumours, special guests and reality TV battles

THIS week in celebrity news, he-said, she-said statements dominated, while online backlash and major announcements kept timelines busy.

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size