Versuchen GOLD - Frei
US strikes boat near Mexico
Bangkok Post
|September 05, 2025
WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Marco Rubio vowed Wednesday the United States would ramp up strikes on cartels after blowing up an alleged drug boat he linked to Venezuela, but he assured Mexico of respect to its sovereignty.
-
In the highest-level meeting between the two neighbors since President Donald Trump returned to the White House, Mr Rubio met for an hour and a half in Mexico City with President Claudia Sheinbaum, who has calmly sought cooperation in the complicated relationship with Washington.
The visit came a day after Mr Trump said US forces blew up an alleged drug boat in the Caribbean that he said belonged to a criminal organisation tied to Venezuela's leftist President Nicolas Maduro, a nemesis of the United States.
Later Wednesday, Venezuela's Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello accused the United States of committing extrajudicial killings in the attack, saying “they murdered 11 people without due process”
The attack, whose details could not be independently verified by AFP, marks a dramatic escalation by the United States, which has for decades relied on routine policing operations rather than deadly force to seize drugs.
Mr Rubio said that the policy had failed as piecemeal seizures did not affect the bottom line of cartels.
The United States “blew it up and it'll happen again. Maybe it’s happening right now,’ Mr Rubio told a news conference.
“These are not stockbrokers. These are not real estate agents who on the side deal a few drugs.”
Diese Geschichte stammt aus der September 05, 2025-Ausgabe von Bangkok Post.
Abonnieren Sie Magzter GOLD, um auf Tausende kuratierter Premium-Geschichten und über 9.000 Zeitschriften und Zeitungen zuzugreifen.
Sie sind bereits Abonnent? Anmelden
WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
Uncut gems: Indian start-ups embrace AI despite job fears
Glinting under the exhibition spotlights, the gold brooch studded with gemstones on the startup founder's lapel was handmade by Indian artisans, but artificial intelligence dreamt up its elaborate design.
3 mins
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
'Russian Seasons' chooses Thailand for Southeast Asian cultural debut
'Russian Seasons' has chosen Thailand to debut its unique 21st-century cultural diplomacy project in Southeast Asia.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Iran 'upbeat' after nuke talks
Iran said on Tuesday it had agreed with the United States in talks in Geneva on \"guiding principles\" for a deal to avoid conflict, but Vice President JD Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Aussie bowlers, selectors under fire after early exit
Critics hammered Australia’s bowling lineup and selection “stuff-ups” after the country’s shock T20 World Cup exit in the group stages.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Foreign applications tally B33.8bn in January
Foreign investment applications under the Foreign Business Act were robust in January, with a total investment value of 33.8 billion baht, up 46% year-on-year, driven mainly by investors from China, Japan and Singapore.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Pacquiao all set to face Provodnikov
Manny Pacquiao confirmed he will face former junior welterweight world champion Ruslan Provodnikovin Las Vegas on April 18, marking his second outing since returning from a four-year retirement last year.
1 min
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
MFA rebuts Hun Manet's border claims
The Foreign Affairs Ministry (MFA) has pushed back against remarks by Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet, after he alleged that Thai troops continued to occupy disputed areas despite ceasefire mediation efforts by US President Donald Trump.
1 min
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Review of 'vertical' medical centre plan
The Ministry of Transport has ordered a review of the land development plan in the Bang Sue area to develop a \"vertical\" medical centre equipped with transport connectivity and a railway system.
1 min
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Duterte announces bid for presidency
Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte announced she will run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028 yesterday.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
Bangkok Post
Camp to champ? Jeeno ready to rule
Star aims high after mountain escape
3 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
