يحاول ذهب - حر
French mass rape suspect among 'worst sexual criminals'
September 08, 2024
|The Straits Times
The daughter of a Frenchman on trial for enlisting strangers to rape his drugged wife on Sept 6 described him as “likely one of the worst sexual criminals in the past 20 years".
-
Dominique Pelicot, a 71-year-old retiree, has admitted to abusing his wife without her knowledge between 2011 and 2020, drugging her with sleeping pills and then recruiting dozens of strangers to rape her in her own home.
"How are we supposed to rebuild ourselves when we know" what he did, his daughter, 45-year-old Caroline Darian who uses a pen name - said in court in the southern city of Avignon on the fifth day of a case that has horrified France.
Pelicot kept meticulous records of the abuse of his wife, which police discovered only by chance after he was caught filming up women's skirts in a supermarket.
His wife Gisele Pelicot, now aged 71 and in divorce proceedings, said she had been troubled for years by strange memory lapses until she was contacted by the police.
Speaking to the court on the morning of Sept 6, their daughter, Ms Darian, recounted learning of the alleged abuse on Nov 2, 2020, from her mother after she had spoken to investigators.
"My life was literally turned upside down," Ms Darian said.
هذه القصة من طبعة September 08, 2024 من The Straits Times.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من The Straits Times
The Straits Times
CAULFIELD'S DIAMOND COULD BE ETERNAL WARRIOR'S BEST FRIEND
Colt with solid Victorian classic ties bids to keep it in the family
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
OpenAI set to raise $127b in first phase of new funding round
SAN FRANCISCO - OpenAI is close to finalising the first phase of a new funding round that is likely to bring in more than US$100 billion (S$126.8 billion), according to people familiar with the matter.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
No verified info on S'poreans fighting for IDF: MHA
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it is aware of a foreign news report stating that two Singaporeans were among those who fought for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) during the conflict in Gaza.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
German Chancellor joins calls for social media limits for children
Chancellor Friedrich Merz backed growing calls in Germany for controls on access to social media platforms by children.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Ipoh flood victims suffer huge losses, face a grim fasting month
Flood-hit families in Malaysia are struggling to prepare for the fasting month.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
China’s economic policies causing waste at home, damage abroad: IMF
It urges country to shift to a growth model driven by domestic consumer spending
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
PM Wong visiting Malaysia on Feb 20
Prime Minister Lawrence Wong will visit Malaysia on Feb 20 at the invitation of his Malaysian counterpart Anwar Ibrahim.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Singapore shares rise after tech rebound on Wall Street
Local stocks finished stronger on Feb 19, tracking regional gains and following a strong rebound in technology shares on Wall Street.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Incredible demand for special World Cup: Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be \"sold out\", FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Feb 18, even though tickets are still available ahead of the tournament's June 11 kickoff.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Italy against Russian, Belarusian flags at Paralympics
Olympic hosts Italy on Feb 19 called for a reversal of the decision to let 10 Russian and Belarusian athletes compete with national flags and anthems at the Paralympic Winter Games in March.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
