يحاول ذهب - حر
'Oppenheimer' rules Oscars with 7 wins
March 12, 2024
|The Philippine Star
LOS ANGELES - "Oppenheimer," the blockbuster biopic about the race to build the first atomic bomb, claimed seven Academy Awards, including the prestigious Best Picture trophy on Sunday, as Hollywood celebrated a triumphant year in film.
-
Irish actor Cillian Murphy won best actor for playing theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, leader of the US effort in the 1940s to create a weapon that ended World War II.
"Oppenheimer" director Christopher Nolan took home the directing Oscar.
"We made a film about the man who created the atomic bomb, and for better or worse we are living in Oppenheimer’s world,” Murphy said as he held his trophy on stage.
“So I would really like to dedicate this to the peacemakers everywhere.”
A three-hour historical drama about science and politics, “Oppenheimer” became an unlikely box office hit and grossed $953.8 million, in addition to widespread critical praise.
It was the first of Nolan’s films to win best picture. The director has previously won acclaim for “The Dark Knight” Batman trilogy, “Inception,” “Memento” and other movies.
As he accepted his gold statuette, Nolan noted that the movie business was a century old and still evolving.“To know you think I’m a meaningful part of this means the world to me,” he said.
Emma Stone was named best actress for playing a woman revived from the dead in the dark and wacky comedy “Poor Things.” It was the second Academy Award for Stone, who landed the best actress honor for 2016 musical “La La Land.”
“This is really overwhelming,” she said on stage.
The best actress race had been considered one of the tightest competitions with Lily Gladstone nominated for “Killers of the Flower Moon.” Had she prevailed, Gladstone would have been the first Native American to win an acting Oscar.
هذه القصة من طبعة March 12, 2024 من The Philippine Star.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
Risa: United opposition bets named by year-end
The “united opposition” will announce by year-end the common candidates they will field in the 2028 general elections after Vice President Sara Duterte declared her bid for the presidency.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Ceccarelli vows to get better
BORMIO, Italy - Francis Ceccarelli, the 22-year-old Fil-Italian skier in the 25th Winter Olympics, may be down-but certainly not out.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
VP Sara: I'm running for president in 2028
Fourth impeach case filed vs VP
4 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Why pursuing SMPC's coal contract makes sense for big conglomerates
As the government gears up to auction Semirara Mining and Power Corp.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
BBM on VP's bid: Good luck
Palace: Apologize for EJKs, DepEd issues
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
DA orders probe into farm input anomalies
The Department of Agriculture (DA) has ordered an investigation into the procurement and distribution of farm inputs and machinery after farmers exposed alleged multibillion-peso irregularities.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
'Phl will accept only UNCLOS-based COC'
Only a Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea anchored on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) will be acceptable to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Philippines' top diplomat said.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Landbank raises P50 B from ASENSO bond sale
State-run Land Bank of the Philippines has raised P50 billion from its Agriculture, Sustainability, Environment and Socioeconomic Development (ASENSO) bonds, following strong demand that prompted an early close of the offer.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Fallible
This story hovered under the radar.
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Rody wants to waive right to attend ICC hearing
Saying he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, former president Rodrigo Duterte has requested the waiver of his right to attend the upcoming ICC confirmation of charges hearings next week.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
