يحاول ذهب - حر
'Agile' Fenwick has 'clear plan for profitable growth'
November 03, 2025
|The Journal
NORTH East luxury department store chain Fenwick has narrowed its losses for a second year, while challenges continue to bite into the UK retail industry.
The company - the UK’s largest family-owned group of department stores - is toasting a significant improvement in its financial performance in the year ended January 2025, against the backdrop of ongoing, testing High Street conditions.
Fenwick operates eight regional department stores including its flagship store in Newcastle's Northumberland Street, Kingston, Brent Cross, Colchester, Canterbury, Tun-bridge Wells, Bracknell and York, as well its online business.
Despite troubling times in the retail sector, in recent years Fenwick have continued to invest in its stores, using the proceeds of the sale of its London Bond Street store - sold in 2022 in a £430m deal - on strategic investments within its portfolio, including Newcastle.
Turmover fell from £184.2m to £177m, but its operating loss was shortened from £52.7m to £39m, and its overall loss was £35.5m, an improvement on the previous year's figure of £51.7m.
Fenwick, which employees around 1,555 people, said it saw particularly strong sales growth in the second half of the year and also made operational cost savings of £11.2m.
The 2024 figures also include sales and associated costs for its Bond Street store, which closed its doors in February 2024.
A note within the accounts said: “The British retail sector continues to remain challenging.
هذه القصة من طبعة November 03, 2025 من The Journal.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من The Journal
The Journal
Armed response to toy sword
A MAN carrying a “plastic toy sword” caused armed police to swarm on a coastal town in Northumberland.
1 min
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Warner Bros reopens its sale talks with Paramount
WARNER Bros Discovery has resumed talks with Paramount Skydance, reigniting the takeover battle with Netflix for one of Hollywood’s most sought-after studios.
1 min
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Eagles hope to fly after 10 day block of training
AFTER a 10-day break, the Newcastle Eagles return to the court tonight in Manchester looking to break a five-match SLB Championship losing streak.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Curran is the man for the big moment
SAM Curran is once again proving to be England's man when the pressure is on at the T20 World Cup after helping them negotiate a trickier-than-anticipated group stage.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Mercury Prize is set to return to Newcastle after success of last year
Newcastle will stage the prestigious Mercury Prize for the second year running after the spectacular success of the 2025 ceremony.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Three men deny murder of 23-year-old
THREE men have denied murdering a 23-year-old who died in a collision at a petrol station.
1 min
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Australia out after rain dashes Irish hopes
Australia are out of the T20 World Cup after Zimbabwe's decisive clash with Ireland in Pallekele was washed out.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
HORSE POWER Molto Bene should prove too good for her rivals at Ludlow
MOLTO
1 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Minister backs campaign to help small businesses
A GOVERNMENT Minister has backed a campaign starting in the North East to help SMEs find the right advice and become “investor ready”.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Journal
Finance boss stole £35k from firm
A MOTHER stole nearly £35,000 from the Tyneside family business where she worked as finance manager, a court heard.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
