يحاول ذهب - حر
Organisers of rally over Palestine Action ban aim for bigger protest
August 14, 2025
|The Guardian
The next mass protest against the ban on Palestine Action will aim to be twice the size of the last, organisers have said, as they increase pressure on the government to lift its proscription.
Last Saturday's protest in Parliament Square was predicated on 500 people signing up but the next one, announced yesterday for 6 September in London, is conditional on 1,000 people agreeing to take part.
Defend Our Juries, the pressure group behind the protests opposing the proscription of Palestine Action, said it believed a turnout of 1,000 would be enough to get the ban lifted.
A total of 532 people were arrested at Saturday's demonstration, all but 10 under section 13 of the Terrorism Act for carrying placards saying: "I oppose genocide, I support Palestine Action."
The number of people arrested for peaceful protests, their age profile - half of those arrested were 60 or older - and the strain it is putting on the criminal justice system have led many to question the ban.
هذه القصة من طبعة August 14, 2025 من The Guardian.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من The Guardian
The Guardian
Chinese tourists shun Japan as rift over Taiwan deepens
Chinese tourists are continuing to shun Japan in large numbers, with the country falling out of the top 10 destinations for those celebrating the lunar new year with a trip abroad.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
Farage insists Reform is not one-man band but warns top team against disloyalty
Nigel Farage has unveiled the first part of Reform UK's frontbench team, saying it shows that the party is no longer reliant entirely on him - while also warning that he will not tolerate any dissent from his colleagues.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
'The situation has become worse': Israeli settlers raid home of Oscar winner again
The co-director of the Oscar-winning No Other Land has said his home and family have come under renewed attack almost a year after his documentary on Israeli settler and army violence in the West Bank won the Academy Award.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
Kenyan authorities broke into activist's phone, report claims
When Boniface Mwangi, the prominent Kenyan pro-democracy activist who plans to run for president in 2027, had his phones returned to him by Kenyan authorities after his controversial arrest last July, he noticed a problem: one of the phones was no longer password protected and could be opened without one.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
Woods weighs up offer to captain USA at Ryder Cup
Tiger Woods has confirmed he has been asked to captain the USA team at the Ryder Cup next year.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
Paramount given a week to submit Warner Bros offer
Warner Bros Discovery has reopened talks with Paramount Skydance, giving the company seven days to table its final offer and top an existing agreement with Netflix.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
Iran hails 'good progress' in US talks amid memorials for protest victims
Iran has described the latest round of indirect talks with the US as “more constructive” than the previous set, and said agreement had been reached on “general guiding principles” that could lead to a further meeting to discuss its nuclear programme.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
‘It gets a little bit soul crushing’ Young people face bleak outlook as youth unemployment rises
On any given day, Poppy Blackman is engaged in the “soul-crushing” process of applying for a new job, and rarely ever hearing anything back.
5 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
EU launches inquiry into Shein over sales of childlike sex dolls
The EU is to open a formal investigation into the Chinese retailer Shein over multiple suspected breaches of European laws including the sale of childlike sex dolls.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
The Guardian
Pereira has no fears about Marinakis ‘fire’ as paths cross again at Forest
As someone taking his 19th coaching position, Vitor Pereira, Nottingham Forest’s fourth manager of the season, is not a believer in job security.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
