Try GOLD - Free
After Cannes, Japanese Film Co-produced by Sylvia Sanchez, Alemberg Ang to be Shown in PHL
The Philippine Star
|June 10, 2025
When filmmaker Alemberg Ang learned that the Japanese coming-of-age film "Renoir" needed additional funding, he thought of bringing in actress-producer Sylvia Sanchez.
The film, which tells the story of an 11-year-old coping with adolescence and family issues in late '80s Japan, had its world premiere in the main competition of the 78th Cannes Film Festival last month. It was megged by Chie Hayakawa, director of the critically acclaimed "Plan 75," a dystopian drama that also touched on Filipino caregivers looking after the aging population in Japan.
Megged by Chie Hayakawa, director of the critically acclaimed "Plan 75," a dystopian drama about the aging population in Japan, tells the story of an 11-year-old coping with adolescence and family issues in late '80s Japan.
Ang, head of Daluyong Studios, introduced the founder of Nathan Studios to the team behind "Renoir," including Hayakawa, when they came to the Philippines last year.
Sanchez was already impressed with the team's track record and their work in "Plan 75," what ultimately sealed the deal for her was their aim to bring the film to the 2025 Cannes Film Festival.
"Maganda ang record nila sa Cannes, and if proven and reliable ang reputation, malamang mapasok ka," said Sanchez during a presscon on Monday. "So I said, why not? Last year was my third time at Cannes. The first time, I just went to observe because I wanted to produce films. I wanted to find out kung ano ang 'in' ngayon."
This story is from the June 10, 2025 edition of The Philippine Star.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
Pinoys help keep Greenland in business
Marinel Garciano dislikes winter, and that’s tough when it lasts nine months in Ilulissat, Greenland. But she has no regrets about leaving the Philippines to give her children opportunities.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
NBI chief says more ICC arrest warrants coming
Former president Rodrigo Duterte may soon have company in The Hague, as the International Criminal Court (ICC) is set to issue more warrants against his co-perpetrators in the crimes against humanity charges, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
ALEX GONZAGA’S PREGNANCY IS ‘A MIRACLE AND ANSWERED PRAYER,’ SAYS SISTER TONI
ALEX GONZAGA’S PREGNANCY is more than happy family news for older sister Toni Gonzaga. It’s an answered prayer their family had long been waiting for.
5 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
Iran weighs peace proposal
Accuses US of ‘excessive demands’ - Tehran accused the United States of “excessive demands,” Iranian media said yesterday, as US media reports raised the prospect that Washington was mulling new strikes and leaders of the Islamic republic considered the latest peace proposal.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
ICC: Duterte to stay detained
Former president Rodrigo Duterte will remain in detention in The Hague ahead of his trial for crimes against humanity before the International Criminal Court (ICC), judges ruled on Friday.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
‘Bato presumed armed, dangerous’
As a fugitive from justice, Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa is presumed to be “armed and dangerous” and should be dealt “with caution,” National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) director Melvin Matibag said.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
'SB-11' pushes for Gatchalian as next Senate president
The minority senators from the so-called \"Solid Bloc\" have declared their support for Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian as their candidate for Senate president following the chaos in the chamber since Alan Peter Cayetano took over the leadership.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
Phl facing 'info war' over disputed seas
As the country prepares to mark in July the 10th anniversary of the landmark 2016 arbitral ruling on its maritime claim, senior military officials and security experts have warned of escalating “political and informational war” marked by cyberattacks, disinformation and foreign influence operations as China continues its illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive (ICAD) behavior in the West Philippine Sea.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
E-wallet boom boosts financial inclusion in first quarter
Filipino adults with formal financial accounts rose to 58 percent in the first quarter, driven by the rapid adoption of e-wallets, according to a survey commissioned by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP).
1 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
Pia holds Kumustahan on FB Live
After drawing criticism and becoming the subject of online memes over her “Wala man lang nangumusta sa amin” statement, Sen. Pia Cayetano went live on Facebook Friday night to defend her emotions and encourage people to reach out to others.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

