Facebook Pixel FAILED Half lives lost in first wave would have been saved if lockdown were one week earlier - FAILED Mistakes were made again and again....Test and Trace not up to it, decisións slow - FAILED Huge final total of 230,000 deaths.... was in part due to the 'decisions taken to respond | Daily Record - newspaper - Read this story on Magzter.com
Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

FAILED Half lives lost in first wave would have been saved if lockdown were one week earlier - FAILED Mistakes were made again and again....Test and Trace not up to it, decisións slow - FAILED Huge final total of 230,000 deaths.... was in part due to the 'decisions taken to respond

Daily Record

|

November 21, 2025

BEREAVED families hit out at Boris Johnson yesterday after the public inquiry into Covid found that his government's response was "inexcusable".

- MARTIN BAGOT, SIMON MURPHY

FAILED Half lives lost in first wave would have been saved if lockdown were one week earlier - FAILED Mistakes were made again and again....Test and Trace not up to it, decisións slow - FAILED Huge final total of 230,000 deaths.... was in part due to the 'decisions taken to respond

Baroness Heather Hallett's damning report said 48 per cent of deaths in the first wave down south -23,000 could have been avoided if lockdown had been brought in a week earlier.

Moments after its release yesterday, campaigner Deborah Doyle, who lost her mum, said: "The evidence is clear. Boris Johnson is blamed in black and white for the catastrophic mishandling of the pandemic which led to thousands of avoidable deaths.

"Many of our family members would still be alive today if it wasn't for the leadership of Boris Johnson and his colleagues." Baroness Hallett said 230,000 lives were lost to the virus and that such "devastating consequences" were in part due to the "decisions taken to respond to it.

The inquiry branded government inaction "inexcusable" and said it was repeatedly slow to bring in restrictions, making full lockdowns necessary.

The baroness said in February 2020 the UK Government failed to act, given the growing awareness of the threat of the new virus spreading from China.

imageShe said: "Ministers and officials had been given clear advice that, in the reasonable worst-case scenario, up to 80 per cent of the population would be infected with a very significant loss of life - but did not appreciate the increasing likelihood of this scenario materialising.

"At the same time, it was clear that the Test and Trace system was inadequate for a pandemic.

MORE STORIES FROM Daily Record

Daily Record

GAZA BOAT DOC IS SAFE

Detained protester in Turkey

time to read

1 min

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

Judith Chalmers 1935 - 2026 She leaves behind a giant suitcase of the happiest of memories

FOR millions of holidaymakers, she was the warm, reassuring face who arrived in the living room promising sunshine, adventure and escape.

time to read

3 mins

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

Daily Record

Record scoops top press awards

THE Daily Record lifted a raft of top prizes at the Scottish Press Awards for our hard-hitting journalism.

time to read

1 min

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

Daily Record

Just wait until after World Cup for Elijah

MOTHERWELL face the prospect of losing Elijah Just this summer following the departure of boss Jens Berthel Askou.

time to read

1 min

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

THIS GUY CAN REALLY MOVE

MARTIN O'Neill says hero Maeda will go with his blessing

time to read

2 mins

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

VETERANS REMEMBER 15 YEARS ON NEVER FORGET HEROES OF IRAQ

Scots soldier Mac tells how he'll always help old comrades still haunted by memory of the war

time to read

1 min

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

Daily Record

Burnham: Britain needs new script

Wannabe leader hits streets as he campaigns for by-election victory

time to read

2 mins

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

Licensed to fill

Young Sir Sean reveals name change in notes to his dentist

time to read

1 min

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

KEANES TO AN END

Phillips has gone from Roy to Robbie after Saints switch

time to read

2 mins

May 23, 2026

Daily Record

Daily Record

'Kate is an amazing mum & wife. Our family literally couldn't cope without her'

William's tribute to partner after solo trip

time to read

1 mins

May 23, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size