IRISH STEW WITH HERBY DUMPLINGS
Mutton has the most amazing flavour, and slow-cooking it gives it a beautiful soft texture, too.
- 600g (1741b) stewing mutton or lamb
- 2tbsp flour
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 600g (174b) potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 600g (1741b) carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
For the dumplings:
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 3tbsp fresh chopped herbs (we used rosemary parsley and chives)
1. Heat the oven to 140C/ Gas 1. Dust the meat with flour and season well. Add the oil to a large pan and brown the meat. Add the remaining stew ingredients along with 500ml (16fl oz) water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins.
2. Cover and transfer to the oven, and cook for 3 hrs. Return to the hob and bring to a boil for 15 mins, until the potatoes thicken the sauce.
3. For the dumplings, rub together the butter and flour until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency. Pour in 200ml (7 fl oz) cold water, add the herbs and roughly combine. Once a dough has formed, roll into 16 small balls. Place the dumplings on top of the stew, cover and cook for 30 mins, until cooked through.
PER SERVING 805 cals, 419 fat, 22g sat fat, 76g carbs
CRISPY DUCK CASSOULET
For a little extra indulgence, serve with hunks of freshly baked crusty bread to mop up all the juices.
- 200g (7oz) smoked lardons
- 300g (10oz) sausage, sliced
- 2tbsp duck fat or olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, diced - 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g (14oz) dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 6 confit duck legs
- Crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. In a large casserole dish, fry the lardons for around 5 mins, until browned.
3. Add the sausage and fry for a couple more mins. Add the duck fat or oil, shallots, celery, carrot, bouquet garni and garlic. Fry for a couple more mins until slightly softened.
4. Add the beans, along with 2ltr (372 pints) water. Put the dish in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 1 hr 30 mins, until everything is soft. Check halfway through, and add more water if needed.
5. Meanwhile, cook the confit duck legs according to the pack instructions.
Continue reading your story on the app
Continue reading your story in the magazine
'I love getting out into WILDLIFE!'
TV wildlife expert Michaela Strachan talks about living with nature, allergies and being on All Star Musicals
How to get the habit of HAPPINESS
Want to make some changes in your life? Follow these easy steps to reboot and be more content
History on the HIGH STREET
Among the everyday sights on our streets are these reminders of an earlier age
Beautiful, buzzy BARCELONA
Barcelona, capital of Spain’s Catalonia region, has it all, including stylish bars, parks and architecture
Coping with SLEEP APNOEA
This common condition can interrupt your breathing or make it very shallow when you are asleep
Everything was ready for Ava’s wedding – but was she?
Dancing around the MAYPOLE
Three women share the joys of their favourite time of year
Here to help
Let counsellor Keren lighten your load
Is vaping good OR BAD?
Just over half of those who vape are ex-smokers, and 7% of adults use e-cigarettes* – but are they helpful or another crutch?
The herbal helper that sorted my SLEEPLESS NIGHTS
Your wellbeing Latest health solutions for your mind and body
Feast of FRIED CHICKEN
Quin Liburd of the blog Butter Be Ready shares her most scrumptious recipes in honor of National Fried Chicken Day.
Ready, Set, Summer!
We're kicking off the season with easy eats for picnics in the park, backyard hangouts, and more plus, no-cook dinners and excuses to fire up the grill.
One-Skillet DELICIOUS MEALS
With these fresh, simple and flavor-packed suppers, all you need is a humble skillet to travel the world!
We've got food for all your folks! These six picnic-perfect recipes are sure to satisfy every uncle, cousin and kiddo at the reunion-oh, and earn their compliments, too.
How to Make Veggie Burgers
No one will be asking “Where's the beef?” after trying these vegan sammies packed with wholesome, savory ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, black beans and walnuts.
Juicy red tomatoes, fragrant basil and fresh mozzarella—the classic trio transforms with these clever readers' delicious dinner ideas.
When fun-filled days have you pressed for time, prep a packet loaded with fresh and hearty ingredients, then let 'em sizzle together for a sensational supper with super simple cleanup.
These winners earned their grate marks. Fire up the pit and fill your plate with char-kissed salads, savory sandwiches and juicy mains.
A Slice of Summer
Ditch the double-dip cone for this decked-out cake layered with ice cream bread and flavors from your favorite pint, then topped with chocolate fudge sauce and a jumble of jimmies.
There's nothing sweeter than a summer day spent gathering raspberries with a loved one.