Still An Unfinished Revolution
The Philippine Star|February 25, 2021
The dictator who was ousted in the revolution now lies in the heroes’ cemetery, and his only son and namesake is said to be considering a stab at the presidency.

Efforts to recover the billions stolen from public coffers during the Marcos regime have had spotty success. Part of the mind-boggling ill-gotten wealth has been recovered, but none of those accused of amassing the loot has ever gone to prison.

Corruption, as President Duterte has lamented, is deeply entrenched, from petty graft to large-scale plunder. The past five years have seen more people killed by police, ostensibly for resisting arrest in a brutal war on drugs, than the number of people, as listed by human rights groups, who were summarily executed in the entire dictatorial rule of Ferdinand Marcos.

Continue reading your story on the app

Continue reading your story in the newspaper

MORE STORIES FROM THE PHILIPPINE STARView All

Queen Elizabeth bids farewell to ‘strength and stay' Prince Philip

Queen Elizabeth II bids a final farewell to her late husband, Prince Philip, on Saturday, at a funeral restricted by coronavirus rules but reflecting his long life of military and public service.

4 mins read
The Philippine Star
April 18, 2021

P1.2-B giant clams seized in Palawan

At least 200 tons of fossilized giant clams with an estimated market value of P1.2 billion were seized from four persons in Roxas, Palawan on Friday.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 18, 2021

Leni on self-quarantine as bodyguard gets COVID

Vice President Leni Robredo will undergo quarantine after a close-in security tested positive for COVID-19.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 18, 2021

Frontliners hailed at PeopleAsia awards

Frontliners took center stage at PeopleAsia’s recent “People of the Year” 2021 virtual awards night, which was held live with over a hundred guests via Zoom and streamed to more than 230,000 viewers on Facebook.

3 mins read
The Philippine Star
April 18, 2021

Sotto admits taking Ivermectin

Senate President Vicente Sotto III admitted yesterday taking locally-made Ivermectin as a preventive regimen against COVID-19, which has a l ready claimed over 15,000 lives in the country. “I also take once every two weeks, yes, for prevention,” Sotto said in an interview over dwIZ as he confirmed taking Ivermectin in his own effort to avoid getting infected with COVID-19. He did not specify when he started taking the drug.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 18, 2021

DICT, San Juan launch COVID vaccine registry

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) and the San Juan city government are pilot testing the country’s COVID-19 vaccine registry.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 17, 2021

YUKA WRESTS SOLO LEAD

Yuka Saso sustained her sizzling form, shooting a second consecutive eight-under-par 64 to seize the solo lead halfway through the LPGA Lotte Championship Thursday in Oahu, Hawaii.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 17, 2021

‘Aid beneficiaries included dead persons, minors, OFWs'

An administration congressman yesterday criticized the implementation of the latest cash aid or ayuda for low-income families in Metro Manila and surrounding provinces that were affected by the recent lockdown.

2 mins read
The Philippine Star
April 17, 2021

WHO: COVID infection rate approaching highest of pandemic so far

GENEVA (Reuters) – The number of new COVID-19 cases per week has nearly doubled globally over the past two months, approaching the highest rate seen so far during the pandemic, the head of the World Health Organization said yesterday.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 17, 2021

Investing in future generations

As President Duterte himself has lamented, more people will get sick, and more people will die.

1 min read
The Philippine Star
April 17, 2021