The Future Of The Stock Market
Finweek English|23 April 2021
We need to expose more companies to a larger audience of investors for the democratisation of wealth.
Johan Fourie

In 2018, Hank Bessembinder, professor of business at Arizona State University, published a paper in the Journal of Financial Economics with the rather nonsensical question: Do stocks outperform Treasury bills? It seems nonsensical because, from 1926 to 2016, the approximately 25 300 companies listed on US stock exchanges, created $35tr in net wealth for its shareholders, in other words, $35tr more than what investors would have earned on US Treasury bills. But here’s the catch: All that net wealth was created by the top 1 092 companies, or 4% of the total, which means the remaining 96% of listed companies “collectively generated lifetime dollar gains that matched gains on one-month Treasury bills”.

One might easily conclude from this research that it is vitally important to pick the right stocks. But that is almost certainly the wrong conclusion. Bessembinder explains: “The results presented here reinforce the importance of portfolio diversification. Not only does diversification reduce the variance of portfolio returns, but also nondiversified stock portfolios are subject to the risk that they will fail to include the relatively few stocks that, ex post, generate large cumulative return.”

Continue reading your story on the app

Continue reading your story in the magazine

MORE STORIES FROM FINWEEK ENGLISHView All

What is a store of value?

Gold, cryptocurrencies and cash have all been argumented for as protection against inflation and market crashes. Simon Brown busts this myth.

3 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

Simon's stock tips

Founder and director of investment website JustOneLap.com, Simon Brown, is finweek’s resident expert on the stock markets. In this column he provides insight into recent market developments.

6 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

STOCKS PROTECTING THE PLANET AND DIGITAL LIFESTYLES

Is it possible to invest in companies that aim to secure humans’ existence on an ever-dwindling planet and those that protect our increasingly digital lifestyles? finweek looks at these issues and analyses four offshore companies that fit these themes.

10+ mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

The morass that is coal supply to Eskom

The Seriti contract with the power generator shows up other issues in the supply chain to keep SA’s lights on.

3 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

The outlook for inflation

What is driving higher local consumer prices?

3 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

Does convenience cause risk?

Thanks to technology, it has become far easier to make payments, but how safe are contactless payments and what are South Africans’ options?

7 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

Swanky, safe, and more affordable

The Volvo XC40 T3 with its turbocharged three-cylinder engine brings a less pricey entry point to the XC40 range.

6 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

Do central banks still care about inflation?

Structural consumer price increases may be abating. We’ll soon see whether monetary authorities will adapt their mandates.

3 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

Are you on the right track with shares?

It is a good time to look at your portfolio to determine whether there are still good prospects, advises Schalk Louw.

3 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021

Flush-Outs Among Cryptos Are Healthy

Valuing cryptocurrencies and determining their correlation with traditional asset classes are becoming easier.

4 mins read
Finweek English
11 June 2021