What You’ll Need:
½ cup raisins
¾ cup canned pumpkin
¹⁄³ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin, pie spice, pinch of salt chilled, prepackaged pie dough, ice water sugar.
What to Do:
1. Put raisins in a cup with 2 tablespoons tap water to soak for ½ hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Drain raisins and mix with the pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a saucepan. Ask an adult to cook mixture over low heat, stirring all the time until the brown sugar melts completely, there are no more lumps, and the mixture just begins to bubble.
4. Using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut 3-inch circles in the pie dough as close together as possible.
5. With an adult’s help, put a small spoonful of filling in the middle of each circle.
6. Dip your finger in ice water and run it around the edge of each circle.
7. Fold each circle in half to make a pocket and pinch the edges to seal them. Make sure there are no holes in the seal or the filling will ooze out.
8. Bake the pockets on ungreased cookie sheets for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. As soon as an adult removes the pockets from the oven, sprinkle sugar on top of each of them.
10. Let the pumpkin pockets cool and enjoy!
Makes approximately 12 pockets.
The Ugliest Pumpkin
Farmer: There were once three pumpkins growing side by side in the same pumpkin patch. Each of the pumpkins was the best at something. I don’t know how it happened or why. Maybe it was something in the soil. Maybe they got too much sunlight or too little water. Whatever the reason, these pumpkins were special.
Roundest: I’m the roundest pumpkin in the entire world. My radius is radiant. My diameter is dynamic. I’m a perfect sphere!
Orangest: No other pumpkin in the world is as orange as me! A pumpkin is just not a pumpkin unless it’s shiny and orange. Look at how I gleam in the sunlight.
Roundest: You’re crazy. Round is the only shape for a pumpkin.
Orangest: Round is the only shape for a pie! If you’re not orange, you might as well be a cantaloupe.
Farmer: Pumpkins! You’re all special. Each and every one.
Ugliest: Even me?
Farmer: Even you.
Orangest & Roundest: What makes him so special?
Continue reading your story on the app
Continue reading your story in the magazine
SNOT-COPTER: Drone at Work
THE BOAT IS on the move. It speeds over icy waters toward a humpback whale.
Fruity Valentine Nachos
Strawberries are red; Blueberries are blue. Valentine nachos Say, “I love you!”
Soured on Pickles
IT STUCK TO the bar of soap in the bathtub, so you didn’t want to wash with it.
HAVE YOU EVER wondered how your cat does such a good job of cleaning herself using just her tongue? Try this activity and find out!
SPRAY HOW YOU feel this Valentine’s Day by sharing this silly card with your friend or family!
The Stolen Smell
A Peruvian Folktale
Ophelia's Last Word - Blowhole Your Nose
Not feeling whale? Stop your blubbering, and turn your tissue box into the biggest thing on land or sea!
The War of the Noses
It could have happened anyplace: Two noses met up face to face.
Doodlebug & Dandelion
Very Skunky Valentine
The Sacrifice of the Rainbow Bird
A Tale from the Lenni Lenape
A Spooky Twist on a Classic Cocktail
Halloween is all about celebrating fall with sweet treats.
Spooky Night! Halloween
¿DULCE O TRUCO? ¡ELEGIRÁS DULCE CUANDO DE ESTAS RECETAS SE TRATA! TODA TU FAMILIA (GRANDES Y CHICOS) AMARÁN PREPARAR Y DISFRUTAR ESTAS RECETAS.
Pumpkin Patches, Hayrides And Ghostly Gatherings
Autumn is a glorious season in the Triangle. Visit a local farm to hop on a hayride, sip apple cider and find your way out of corn maze. Scare yourself silly in one of the area’s celebrated haunted houses, or venture down a dark trail to greet the undead. Explore our vast selection of fall offerings, from tame experiences to frightful festivities. Events requiring a fee, ticket or donation are marked with an asterisk. Check the daily calendar section for more seasonal fun.
Trick or Treat
¿Dulce o truco? ¡Elegirás dulce cuando de estas recetas se trata! Toda tu familia (grandes y chicos) amarán preparar y disfrutar estas recetas.
P.S. Witches, Pumpkins And Cats, Oh My!
Make some noise with these whimsical Halloween toy collectibles.
The soaps will pull out tricks and treats for their Halloween episodes this year.
Halloween Special - Transform Your Home Into A Haven For Witches And Skeletons
A California home becomes a haven for witches and skeletons during the month of October.
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
The Haunted House Next Door
The Broaddus family had just bought their dream home and couldn’t wait to move in. Until ominous letters began arriving in the mail.
Pumpkins, Frights And Lively Nights
Autumn is the perfect season to fall in love with Boston. With pumpkins galore, a crisp breeze and leaves of bright oranges and reds, the area settles into its own beauty. It’s also the season of spook and the city happily turns its pumpkin spiced latte in for a cup of creep. Here are a few ways to get in the Halloween spirit.