Cherishing The Gift Of Business
Daisy magazine|November/December 2016

If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it twice; we are in a “new normal” an uncertain period of employment economics.

Adrienne Warden

Believe it or not, this is things being what they are, actually a great time to pursue your lifelong dream of operating your own business. Why not? What do you have to lose? You literally have the same, if not better odds of being successful in your business venture as you do in keeping your day job. It is a 50/50 chance of success with your own business and about 30% chance of keeping, 70% chance of losing your position. It’s high time to up-date your attitude and start to see yourself as a business or start one of your own. If you ask you, and you did not but I’m going to tell it any way. The “new normal” is already getting old. It’s been years since I’ve seen a steady job market. In this market, if you don’t have a side gig, you will be swimming up creek when the next lay-off wave hits. My goal is not to alarm or make you antsy but to help you see the golden opportunities that lie before you. The very hobby, craft or skill you enjoy, cannot get enough of and would do for free; is likely your path to a fruitful and productive income generating venture. This article is not about finding your inner gig. The focus of this article will be on just starting and maintaining.

Start Where You Are 

Continue reading your story on the app

Continue reading your story in the magazine

MORE STORIES FROM DAISY MAGAZINEView All

EDUCATION SYSTEM IN GHANA

High School teachers in Ghana have been on strike for the past week for non-payment of some teachers’ salaries. It also happens to be the examination week before the Christmas break. A High School teacher I spoke with confirmed he had not been paid for three months. Other teachers mentioned higher figures.As at Friday the 13th of December 2019, serious negotiations behind closed doors had been ongoing between the Teachers’ Union and the Ghana Education to resolve the impasse.That, in a nutshell, sums the state of education in Ghana.

4 mins read
Daisy magazine
January/February 2020

BLACK WALL STREET

Prior to the massacre of May 31, 1921, when a mob of white men over two days burnt the black district of Greenwood to the ground, it was one of the most Affluent African American districts in the entire United States.Founded on Indian Territory in 1906 by Mr. O.C. Gurley and his family, a wealthy land owner, who purchased 40 acres of land in Tulsa, named it Greenwood after a Mississippi town. Gurley was able to purchase this land through the Dawes Act. A US Law that gave land to individual Native Americans and many Black Sharecroppers looking for better opportunities in a post-Civil War era and from racial oppression.Oklahoma was considered a safe haven and became home to more than 50 black townships in the State.

2 mins read
Daisy magazine
January/February 2020

People, Places And Perspectives

It was with some amount of pride that I watched the women’s march on January 21, 2017 and felt a shift in the winds of change that blew over the country and the world at large.

2 mins read
Daisy magazine
MArch/April 2017

Ray Of Hope

The National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City Metro, Inc. (NAMI- NYC Metro) is a grassroots organization that provides free support, education, and advocacy for families and individuals of all ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds who live with mental illness.

4 mins read
Daisy magazine
MArch/April 2017

Can a Woman really have it all? One woman's struggle to balance Family and business

My Struggle of Building My Business and a Relationship With My Daughter.

3 mins read
Daisy magazine
January/February 2017

Health & Fitness

Singer Arika Kane, Meets the Challenge of Health and Fitness

2 mins read
Daisy magazine
January/February 2017

Ray of Hope

Successful Relationships: as Important for Women in the Bedroom as in the Boardroom

8 mins read
Daisy magazine
January/February 2017

Spirit & Self

With the holidays upon us, and revelry all around, you would want to believe that all are having the same amount of enjoyment and getting the same level of fulfillment as you, and so many like you.

2 mins read
Daisy magazine
November/December 2016

Ray Of Hope

Wear lipstick & attack.

6 mins read
Daisy magazine
November/December 2016

Cherishing The Gift Of Business

If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it twice; we are in a “new normal” an uncertain period of employment economics.

5 mins read
Daisy magazine
November/December 2016