Here I’m going to talk about a few things you need to develop feel with your horse. The first involves improving the ability to physically feel what your horse is doing through your seat, hands, and body, while the second part involves thinking about your horse and thinking like your horse to better understand his mindset and what he’s experiencing.
Find Feel With Your Seat
Being able to feel what your horse is doing through your seat takes hours of practice and will be a difficult thing to master when you’re first starting out. But the more hours you put in, the more confident you’ll become with your seat while riding and the better connection you’ll have with your horse.
BALANCE. Having balance is a key part of finding feel. A good rider always sits in the middle of the saddle. However, there are several parts to this. First, your saddle needs to be in the middle of your horse’s back. Pay close attention to where it sits when you first mount your horse, as it’s common for it to get pulled to the left when you’re getting on. An easy way to see if your saddle is straight is seeing that it aligns with your horse’s mane and withers.
ATHLETIC RIDING POSITION. An athletic riding position helps you stay centered in the saddle with your legs underneath you. You know you’re balanced in the saddle when you can stand straight up in your stirrups without needing the assistance of your horn. (Having a saddle that’s the correct size for you will make it easier to accomplish this position.) When you settle back into your seat after standing up, you’ll bend your knees and sit in the center of the saddle with 60% of your weight in the seat with the other 40% in your feet.
You should be looking forward, with your ears aligned with your shoulders, your shoulders over your hips, and your hips over your heels. Your legs should be between the front and back cinch in order to have the proper connection with your horse. Your heels should be lower than your toes with your weight on the balls of your feet. You should be able to remain in this straight but relaxed alignment at all gaits.
If you look like you're sitting on the couch, you’re going to be too far back in your saddle, and your knees and legs are going to be too far forward. This position, which is all too common, doesn’t allow you to ride directly over the motion and makes it impossible to use your legs efficiently to connect with your horse’s rhythm.
Before you even get on your horse, start by standing on the ground, and having an open stance, like you would if you were on your horse. You’ll then bend your knees, with your toes slightly out, your back lightly flexed, with your chin level and eyes forward. Keep your elbows softly by your side and your arms in a 90-degree angle forward.
Continue reading your story on the app
Continue reading your story in the magazine
THE ELUSIVE ‘FEEL'
It takes a great horseman to develop and understand feel. However, finding feel doesn’t come easy. Al Dunning breaks down the things you need to know, both in and out of the saddle, to develop feel with your horse, and how it’ll help you better connect with him.
SOMETIMES IT’S EASY to get bogged down in negativity, especially coming out of 2020. We’re going through a pandemic, many of us haven’t seen our families in almost a year, and all the fun activities we used to do (horse related or not) have been rescheduled, canceled, or set aside for the time being.
Welcome to the Herd
A tiny equine with big ears is just what this family needed.
Making a Diagnosis
Is your horse lame? Learn why it’s important to do what it takes to make an accurate diagnosis before you treat.
Groundwork for Yourself
You practice groundwork with your horse, but here you’ll learn how you can apply the same principles to yourself to become a more confident, effective rider in the saddle.
At Rise Canyon Ranch, horses are helping children learn to love reading.
Secrets to Correct a Sticky Backup
If your horse isn’t responsive in his feet when you ask him to back up, Bud Lyon’s insights can help.
Establish Communication Through the Lead Rope
Is your horse pushy on the ground? Improve your communication with him and relieve his anxiety when you’re handling him.
LOCATED IN THE HEART OF ARIZONA, THIS DESERT DESTINATION MAKES FOR THE PERFECT GETAWAY.
Basics of the Rundown
In order to fix your stop, you need to take a few steps back and focus on making sure your horse is soft, relaxed, and responsive to your hand and leg when you’re in the rundown.