Prøve GULL - Gratis
COA flags P279 million flood projects
The Freeman
|November 30, 2025
The Commission on Audit (COA) has uncovered widespread irregularities in four flood control projects in Bulacan worth more than P279 million, citing “ghost” structures, unauthorized relocations and documentation lapses.
-
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. inspects a river wall in project in Baliuag, Bulacan on August 20, 2025. BONGBONG MARCOS VIA FACEBOOK
In four Fraud Audit Reports filed with the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI), COA said the projects, implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-Bulacan 1st District Engineering Office, were “found to contain serious and recurring signs of misuse of public funds.”
These were awarded to Wawao Builders and SYMS Construction & Trading.
COA said its inspection teams, supported by satellite imagery and fraud audit procedures, found that several structures reported as “100% complete” were either missing or located outside approved project sites. In some cases, auditors found structures that had existed years before the contracts were awarded.
Particularly, COA flagged four major issues:
No flood-mitigation or slope-protection structures were found at approved locations despite full payment.
DPWH representatives brought auditors to alternative sites without documentation or written authority.
Some riverbank walls had been built long before the questioned projects, raising concerns that government funds paid for infrastructure already in place.
Missing Statements of Work Accomplished, absent as-built plans, and unsubstantiated site changes undermined project legitimacy.
COA chairperson Gamaliel Cordoba ordered the fraud audit in August 2025 following public outcry over “ghost” flood control projects in the province from July 2022 to May 2025. He said the new findings reinforce COA’s push for accountability.
Denne historien er fra November 30, 2025-utgaven av The Freeman.
Abonner på Magzter GOLD for å få tilgang til tusenvis av kuraterte premiumhistorier og over 9000 magasiner og aviser.
Allerede abonnent? Logg på
FLERE HISTORIER FRA The Freeman
The Freeman
THE CHRISTMAS TREE OF HOPE
It was already the holiday season, but the air in Barangay San Isidro didn't smell of roasted ham or sweet bibingka. Instead, it smelled of mud, damp clothes, and the faint scent of loss. Typhoon Tino had swept through the town just weeks before, leaving behind broken homes and shattered memories. Families now lived under rows of tents lined along the barangay road, just by the river.
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Gilas obliterates Guam in opener of World Cup qualifiers
Gilas Pilipinas blew past debuting Guam, 87-46, for a rousing start in its FIBA World Cup Asian qualifiers campaign last Friday night.
1 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
NEVER HURT YOUR MOTHER
I came by a very simple but profound post one evening while I was scrolling on Facebook: \"Never hurt your mother.
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Moldova closes airspace after fresh drone breach
Moldova, which borders Ukraine, closed its airspace for about an hour overnight after a new drone incursion, its defense ministry said Saturday.
1 min
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Cebu Province recognized for info initiatives
In its commitment to transparency and public access to information, the Cebu Provincial Government has been honored at the 2025 Freedom of Information (FOI) Awards for being among the newly-recognized local government units (LGUs).
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Lancers brighten up Top 2 bid
The three-time defending champions University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers pulled a repeat 81-68 performance over the University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars to bolster their Top 2 campaign in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. (CESAFI) Season 25 basketball tournament on Friday night, November 28, at the Cebu Coliseum.
1 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Ukraine Embassy slams Russia's claim of Filipino recruitment for war
The Ukraine Embassy in Manila categorically denied Russia's allegation that Filipinos are being recruited to fight alongside Ukrainian troops, calling the accusation a \"baseless fabrication\" and part of Moscow's broader disinformation efforts in Southeast Asia.
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Coco, Jake share action scene tips to Roja stars
Donny Pangilinan and Kyle Echarri are painting the country red as their new Kapamilya action-drama series, \"Roja,\" claimed the number one spot on Netflix Philippines' Top TV Shows after its November 21 premiere.
1 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Voting for PBA Season 50 All-Star begins Dec. 5
Voting for the PBA Season 50 All-Star game begins when action in the Philippine Cup resumes on December 5.
1 min
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
'The Drift' shows Cebuano horror cinema can have global appeal
After six months of production earlier this year, the Cebuano horror film \"The Drift,\" produced by Dark Horse Film Productions and Nathiña Film Productions, premiered November 16 at SM Seaside Cinema, where the Centerstage theater was met with shrieks and applause over the film's intense scenes.
3 mins
November 30, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

