Facebook Pixel US Navy seizes an Iranian-flagged ship near Strait of Hormuz; Tehran vows swift response | Manila Bulletin - newspaper - Magzter.comでこの記事を読む
Magzter GOLDで無制限に

Magzter GOLDで無制限に

10,000以上の雑誌、新聞、プレミアム記事に無制限にアクセスできます。

$149.99
 
$74.99/年

試す - 無料

US Navy seizes an Iranian-flagged ship near Strait of Hormuz; Tehran vows swift response

Manila Bulletin

|

April 21, 2026

The United States attacked and seized an Iranian-flagged cargo ship it said had tried to evade a naval blockade near the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday, and Iran's joint military command vowed to respond, throwing a fragile ceasefire into question days before it expires.

US Navy seizes an Iranian-flagged ship near Strait of Hormuz; Tehran vows swift response

A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026.

((AP Photo/Asghar Besharati))

It was the first interception since the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports began last week. Iran's joint military command called the armed boarding an act of piracy and a ceasefire violation, the state broadcaster said.

With the U.S.-Iran standoff over the strait sharpening and the ceasefire expiring by Wednesday, it was not clear where President Donald Trump 's earlier announcement on new talks with Iran now stood. He had said U.S. negotiators would head to Pakistan on Monday.

The uncertainty sent oil prices rising again. One of the worst global energy crises in decades threatened to deepen.

Trump on social media said a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer in the Gulf of Oman warned the Iranian-flagged ship, the Touska, to stop and then "stopped them right in their tracks by blowing a hole in the engine-room." U.S. Marines had custody of the U.S.-sanctioned vessel and were "seeing what's on board!"

It was not clear whether anyone was hurt. The U.S. Central Command, which didn't answer questions, said the destroyer had issued "repeated warnings over a six-hour period."

There was no comment from Iranian officials directly addressing Trump's announcement of talks. However, Iranian state media, without citing anyone beyond unnamed sources, issued brief reports suggesting that they would not happen.

Manila Bulletin からのその他のストーリー

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Deadliest coal mine explosion in China in years kills at least 82 people

A gas explosion at a coal mine in China’s northern Shanxi province killed at least 82 people, local officials said Saturday, in what was the country’s deadliest mining accident in recent years.

time to read

1 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says

A man who opened fire Saturday near a White House security checkpoint is dead after being shot by officers who returned fire, the U.S. Secret Service said.

time to read

2 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

IM 70.3 set in Subic

The absolute pinnacle of endurance racing takes center stage on June 7 as the highly anticipated Century Tuna IRONMAN Philippines and the IRONMAN 70.3 Subic Bay unleash a massive, double-header multisport spectacle.

time to read

1 min

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Haute horology meets hype culture

Globally, chaos, fights, and store shutdowns have erupted as shoppers rush to get a piece of the highly anticipated Swatch x AP ‘Royal Pop’ collaboration

time to read

2 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Trusting Social targets top banks with AI tech

Trusting Social AI Philippines Inc. is targeting partnerships with the country’s 10 largest banks, part of a broader push to deepen its footprint in the local financial market with artificial intelligence-driven (AI) risk and identity solutions.

time to read

2 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Steadying the PH economy amid gathering headwinds

The Philippine economy enters the second half of 2026 with mixed prospects.

time to read

2 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Teodoro lauds Negros Occidental execs for initiatives to address insurgency

Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. lauded local government officials of Negros Occidental led by Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson for the province’s initiatives to address insurgency.

time to read

1 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Mindoro fights Mexican foe

Undefeated Filipino middleweight prospect Weljon Mindoro is making his return to the ring when he takes on Mexican Elias Espadas in a 10-round bout at the University of Texas in Arlington, USA on June 5.

time to read

1 min

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Google I/O 2026 is all about deeper AI integration

At the Google I/O 2026 event, Google announced the overhaul of Search, information agents, and Gemini 3.5.

time to read

3 mins

May 25, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Second Ebola treatment center is set ablaze in eastern Congo, with 18 suspected cases fleeing

Angry residents of a town at the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo attacked and burned a tent that was part of a health center where people are being treated for the virus, the staff there said Saturday.

time to read

2 mins

May 25, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size