Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Obtenez un accès illimité à plus de 9 000 magazines, journaux et articles Premium pour seulement

$149.99
 
$74.99/Année

Essayer OR - Gratuit

Hero firefighters honoured by plaque

Paisley Daily Express

|

May 27, 2025

Families of two men killed when a bomb hit Paisley in World War Two air raid remembered

- ELINA KOBZAR

In the same month as Buddies celebrates Victory in Europe, many Renfrewshire families reflected on what they had lost in World War Two.

For the Farrow and Wilson families, that was a great grandfather and great uncle who died in the line of duty-not on the battlefields in France but in protecting families in Paisley.

Auxiliary firefighters John Sydney Farrow and David Wilson were killed by a bomb during an air raid in 1941 when a bomb fell near West Primary School.

This week both families have shared with the Express the impact of those deaths on their loved ones and of their commitment to keep their memory alive.

Those efforts took a step forward when the Red Plaque Project erected a plaque in memory of the fallen firefighters at West Primary earlier this month.

Run by the Fire Brigades Union, the project creates red plaque memorials for firefighters who lost their lives in the line of duty.

Relatives of the two Paisley firefighters who lost their lives during the Second World War in 1941 were moved by the unveiling of a new plaque in their honour.

A red plaque was unveiled earlier this month commemorating two auxiliary firefighters, John Sydney Farrow and David Wilson, who were killed by a bomb during an aid raid.

Over 150 people joined the event at West School, where the plaque is now located, a site which was used as an auxiliary fire station during the war, and is part of the Red Plaque project, run by the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) and funded by the Firefighters 100 Lottery.

John Sydney Farrow volunteered for the Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS) as a night-time messenger, alerting the fire service of bombing raids, and was just 16 when he was killed.

PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE Paisley Daily Express

Paisley Daily Express

Paisley Daily Express

Max says Norris will feel pressure

FORMULA ONE Max Verstappen has told Lando Norris that if he was driving his McLaren the world championship would \"easily\" be over.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Chiefs could face 'stark choices' over care cuts

Vulnerable residents in East Renfrewshire could face significant cuts to their care, as health chiefs warn of stark choices ahead due to a \"perfect storm\".

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

THIS MAN DISCOVERED JESUS

Tomorrow is the first Sunday in Advent as we start our happy journey towards Christmas.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Rapist will serve four years for sex attack on woman

CONNOR GORDON A murderer who raped a woman in a laundry room has had his prison term extended by four years.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Paisley Daily Express

England are facing a pink-ball ‘lottery’

ENGLAND'S hopes of levelling the Ashes scoreline are at the mercy of a pink-ball “lottery”, according to Stuart Broad.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Accord Lottery jackpot

The lucky winner of the £500 accord jackpot prize in this week's Accord Lottery is ticket number 38169 from Paisley.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Paisley Daily Express

France will intercept small boats in Channel

FRANCE has agreed tactics to intercept small boats in the Channel, according to reports.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Renfrewshire highly rated area to live in

People in Renfrewshire highly rate the area as a place to live, according to new research.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Shamal: Lack of goals is one of Saints' problems

Shamal George has pointed to the lack of goals being one of St Mirren's main issues.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Paisley Daily Express

Prostate cancer test verdict blow

MEN with a known genetic risk should be screened for prostate cancer every two years, but population-wide testing is not recommended because of the “harms” of overdiagnosis and overtreatment, a committee advising the Government has said.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size