Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Obtenez un accès illimité à plus de 9 000 magazines, journaux et articles Premium pour seulement

$149.99
 
$74.99/Année

Essayer OR - Gratuit

One casualty in the Indo-Pakistan fighting: the truth

Independent on Saturday

|

May 17, 2025

IN THE long and bloody history of India-Pakistan relations, ceasefires have often come with silence - a manufactured quiet that drowns out dissent, suppresses journalism, and blurs the line between narrative and truth.

- RANA AYYUB

One casualty in the Indo-Pakistan fighting: the truth

The most recent truce between the two nuclear neighbours, following the April 26 terrorist attack on tourists in Kashmir and the retaliatory strikes that followed, is no exception. While fighter jets retreated and shelling quieted along the line of control, a fierce battle raged online and in the media not for peace, but for control of the story.

On May 8, as shelling continued between India and Pakistan, with villages bombarded, sirens blazing, civilians injured and killed, the social media platform X announced that the Indian government had demanded it take down more than 8 000 accounts, "subject to potential penalties including significant fines and imprisonment of the company's local employees. The orders include demands to block access in India to accounts belonging to international news organisations and prominent X users".

"In most cases, the Indian government has not specified which posts from an account have violated India's local laws," the statement said.

"For a number of accounts, we did not receive any evidence or justification to block the accounts.... We disagree with the Indian government's demands. Blocking entire accounts is not only unnecessary, it amounts to censorship of existing and future content, and is contrary to the fundamental right of free speech."

The censorship extended beyond X. A statement released by the Wire, an independent Indian news website, said its website had been blocked on government orders for running a story on an Indian fighter jet allegedly downed by Pakistan, which was based on a CNN video report. Pakistan claimed it had shot down five Indian planes, and The Washington Post confirmed debris consistent with two.

PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE Independent on Saturday

Independent on Saturday

Criminals disguised in fancy clothes says police minister

ACTING Police Minister Professor Firoz Cachalia has warned that organised crime networks, often disguised in “designer clothes and fancy suits,” are infiltrating political parties and state institutions, posing a growing threat to national security and public trust.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Independent on Saturday

Final call over new number plates

MEC warns of harsh penalties for those who have not made the switch to KZN's new licensing system

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

Independent on Saturday

Independent on Saturday

Siya and Boks speak out against GBVF

NATIONAL CRISIS

time to read

2 mins

November 22, 2025

Independent on Saturday

Guterres: Time to respect Africa

The UN Secretary-General asks world leaders to share economic growth and to make the world a better place

time to read

2 mins

November 22, 2025

Independent on Saturday

Dale Steyn claims Durban curries 'outspice' India's

AS THE cricket on the field took a backseat during the first Test between India and South Africa at Eden Gardens yesterday, the conversation among the commentators turned to which country had the spicier curries.

time to read

1 min

November 15, 2025

Independent on Saturday

VANISHING CHILDREN CRISIS

Without proper statistics, children's organisations say it is impossible to get to the bottom of the problem

time to read

4 mins

November 15, 2025

Independent on Saturday

Stolen weapons fuel SA's violence

Police guns, missing firearms are turning streets into killing fields

time to read

3 mins

November 08, 2025

Independent on Saturday

Siya Kolisi - it's not about milestones, but about giving back

BEING surrounded by his children, teammates, coaches, and the people who have shaped his life and rugby career has left Springbok captain Siya Kolisi calm and content ahead of his 100th Test match for South Africa.

time to read

1 mins

November 08, 2025

Independent on Saturday

It's official. Scientists agree 'Thick thighs do save lives'

THIGH POWER

time to read

1 mins

November 08, 2025

Independent on Saturday

PROTEAS IN FINAL PUSH TO VICTORY

The Proteas, Banyana and the Boks have forged an impressive year for women's sport. Now the nation gets behind our cricketers to go all the way tomorrow

time to read

3 mins

November 01, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size