Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Nissan will stay in SA

The Citizen

|

September 11, 2025

UNCERTAINTY: THE FUTURE OF THE ROSSLYN PLANT IS STILL NOT KNOWN

- Roy Cokayne

Nissan will stay in SA

Nissan is strongly committed to the South African market, despite speculation that its Rosslyn plant in Pretoria is one of seven its Japanese parent company plans to close as part of its global turnaround strategy.

Maciej Klenkiewicz, the managing director of Nissan South Africa and independent markets, confirmed this on Tuesday, adding that SA is not only Nissan's headquarters for its operations in the southern African region but for the entire continent.

Klenkiewicz said some of the plants affected by the turnaround strategy have been announced by Nissan Motor Company, but not all seven plants and he declined to comment on speculation.

He stressed seven factories would either be closed, or their scale reduced, or production shifted to another location in terms of the strategy.

"I have no news about South Africa's future, but we are continuing to invest and produce Navara and are also investing in the development of products.

"There is only one decision," Nissan will stay in SA. This is a commitment that I can make.

"But what will happen with the rest of the plants in the world, I don't know," he said at a launch of Nissan's new X-Trail SUV and Magnite Kuro Black Edition sport utility vehicles (SUVs).

Full speed

Nissan's Rosslyn plant is currently operating "at full speed" after some planned downtime earlier in the year, and "the good news is that this year, we will produce more Nissan Navaras than last year", Klenkiewicz said.

Nissan never comments on its actual production volumes but it plans to produce 20% more Navara units this year compared to last year. Klenkiewicz attributed this to increased market demand for the model, which is produced at the Rosslyn plant.

MORE STORIES FROM The Citizen

The Citizen

Chiefs' true test is still on its way

MOTAUNG JNR: NEXT YEAR WILL BE TOUGH FOR CHIEFS

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Could Maharaj's Test spot be in danger?

It feels silly to even suggest this, but based on the performances of the country's strong spin bowling contingent, Keshav Maharaj's place in the national Test team might be in danger.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

The Citizen

Rice praises Caicedo

PREMIER LEAGUE: CHELSEA LOOKING TO CLOSE THE GAP ON THE GUNNERS

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

The Citizen

Hunting for TV treasure

STORIES: FRESH DOCCIES AND NEW SEASONS OF FAN FAVOURITES ON HISTORY CHANNEL

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

World moves on from G20

DEVELOPMENT: LITTLE RESPONSE TO TRUMP'S THREAT TO EXCLUDE SA AT 2026 MEETING

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

The Citizen

Bavuma credits senior players

PROTEAS: SKIPPER CONTINUES TO BUILD TEST LEGACY

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Joburg turns on Christmas lights again

The Johannesburg municipality has marked its recent revival with the return of a former family favourite.

time to read

1 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Cell C's muted JSE debut

MARKET VALUE: STOCK OPENED AT R26.50 YESTERDAY, MATCHING THE FINAL OFFER PRICE → Long-awaited debut marks its first day trading independently.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Slot insists he is still safe

Arne Slot (above) insisted he is confident of avoiding the sack despite troubled Liverpool’s dismal 4-1 defeat against PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday.

time to read

1 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Plan comes together for Equator

ABILITY: PETER'S CHARGE WELL WEIGHTED, LOVES THE COURSE AND CAN WIN SUMMER CUP

time to read

4 mins

November 28, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size