Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Health dept head suspended

The Citizen

|

October 15, 2025

ACTION: GAUTENG PREMIER SENDS MALOTANA HOME IN WAKE OF POLICE RAIDS, SEIZURES >>→ DA says Lesufi's action comes 10 months too late.

- Jarryd Westerdale & Marizka Coetzer

The noose is tightening around those allegedly involved in looting the Gauteng health department funds from Tembisa Hospital, as head of department Lesiba Malotana has been suspended.

This comes 10 months after the DA called for his head for allegedly taking an R8 million bribe to manipulate tender processes.

Malotana's suspension was announced yesterday by premier Panyaza Lesufi in the wake of coordinated raids by the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) on alleged looting kingpins, which saw the seizure of hundreds of millions of rands worth of mansions, luxury vehicles and supercars.

The health department has been under intense pressure after the SIU detailed how at least R2 billion had been siphoned from Tembisa Hospital.

"The Gauteng provincial government reaffirms its full support for the work of the SIU and other law enforcement agencies," the government said.

"We remain steadfast in our commitment to root out maladministration and to uphold the highest standards of accountability and ethical leadership," it said.

Malotana will be replaced by Dr Darion Barclay, who will be drafted in to fill the head of department position on an acting basis.

Barclay had been serving as the head of corporate governance and traditional affairs, a portfolio that covers many aspects of municipal governance.

The DA has been calling for Malotana's removal for two years, questioning whether his appointment was above board.

MORE STORIES FROM The Citizen

The Citizen

Chiefs' true test is still on its way

MOTAUNG JNR: NEXT YEAR WILL BE TOUGH FOR CHIEFS

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Could Maharaj's Test spot be in danger?

It feels silly to even suggest this, but based on the performances of the country's strong spin bowling contingent, Keshav Maharaj's place in the national Test team might be in danger.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

The Citizen

Rice praises Caicedo

PREMIER LEAGUE: CHELSEA LOOKING TO CLOSE THE GAP ON THE GUNNERS

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

The Citizen

Hunting for TV treasure

STORIES: FRESH DOCCIES AND NEW SEASONS OF FAN FAVOURITES ON HISTORY CHANNEL

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

World moves on from G20

DEVELOPMENT: LITTLE RESPONSE TO TRUMP'S THREAT TO EXCLUDE SA AT 2026 MEETING

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

The Citizen

Bavuma credits senior players

PROTEAS: SKIPPER CONTINUES TO BUILD TEST LEGACY

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Joburg turns on Christmas lights again

The Johannesburg municipality has marked its recent revival with the return of a former family favourite.

time to read

1 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Cell C's muted JSE debut

MARKET VALUE: STOCK OPENED AT R26.50 YESTERDAY, MATCHING THE FINAL OFFER PRICE → Long-awaited debut marks its first day trading independently.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Slot insists he is still safe

Arne Slot (above) insisted he is confident of avoiding the sack despite troubled Liverpool’s dismal 4-1 defeat against PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday.

time to read

1 mins

November 28, 2025

The Citizen

Plan comes together for Equator

ABILITY: PETER'S CHARGE WELL WEIGHTED, LOVES THE COURSE AND CAN WIN SUMMER CUP

time to read

4 mins

November 28, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size