Facebook Pixel Iranian supreme leader Khamenei hiding in bunker, picks successors | Hindustan Times Bengaluru - newspaper - Read this story on Magzter.com
Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Iranian supreme leader Khamenei hiding in bunker, picks successors

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

|

June 22, 2025

Israel claimed on Saturday it has already set back Iran's presumed nuclear programme by at least two years, a day after US President Donald Trump warned that Tehran has a "maximum" of two weeks to avoid possible American air strikes.

- Agencies

Agencies letters@hindustantimes.com JERUSALEM:

Trump has been mulling whether to involve the United States in Israel's bombing campaign, indicating in his latest comments that he could take a decision before the two-week deadline he set this week.

Israel said on Saturday its air force had launched fresh air strikes against missile storage and launch sites in central Iran, as it kept up a wave of attacks it says are aimed at preventing its rival from developing nuclear weapons -- an ambition Tehran has denied.

"According to the assessment we hear, we already delayed for at least two or three years the possibility for them to have a nuclear bomb," Israel's foreign minister Gideon Saar said in an interview published on Saturday. Saar said Israel's week-long onslaught would continue. "We will do everything that we can do there in order to remove this threat," he told German newspaper Bild.

Top diplomats from Britain, France and Germany met their Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi in Geneva on Friday and urged him to resume talks with the US that had been derailed by Israel's attacks.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said "we invited the Iranian minister to consider negotiations with all sides, including the United States, without awaiting the cessation of strikes, which we also hope for."

But Araghchi told NBC News after the meeting that "we're not prepared to negotiate with them (the US) anymore, as long as the aggression continues." Trump was dismissive of European diplomacy efforts, telling reporters, "Iran doesn't want to speak to Europe. They want to speak to us. Europe is not going to be able to help in this."

Trump also said he's unlikely to ask Israel to stop its attacks to get Iran back to the table.

MORE STORIES FROM Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

16 dead in T’gana due to suspected heatstroke so far

At least 16 people have died due to suspected heat stroke across seven districts in Telangana this summer season to date, while no deaths were reported in the neighbouring Andhra Pradesh though 319 cases of sunstroke were reported in that state, officials aware of the matter said on Saturday.

time to read

1 min

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Ebola toll rises, more African countries at risk

Uganda confirmed three new Ebola cases on Saturday and the Red Cross said three volunteers died in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, amid warnings the deadly virus could spread to several more African countries, AFP reported.

time to read

1 mins

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Cracks develop on bridge in Bihar after pillar sinks under its weight

Authorities on Saturday barred heavy traffic on the 206.72-metre-long Jhamta Mahishakol bridge in Bihar’s Araria district after one of its pillars was found to have subsided.

time to read

1 min

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Row after Kerala poll chief named CM's secy

The appointment of Kerala chief electoral officer (CEO) Rathan U Kelkar as secretary to chief minister VD Satheesan has triggered a political row, with the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Communist Party of India (Marxist) accusing the state’s ruling Congress of hypocrisy.

time to read

1 min

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Shreyas hands PBKS win, keeps playoffs hope alive

Skipper Shreyas Iyer led from the front and struck an unbeaten hundred to keep Punjab Kings’ playoff hopes alive after their crushing seven-wicket win over Lucknow Super Giants here on Saturday.

time to read

1 mins

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

PM backs peace push in meeting with Rubio

India will continue working with the United States for the global good even as it backs peace efforts and the peaceful resolution of the conflict in West Asia, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday during talks with US secretary of state Marco Rubio that focused on cooperation in areas ranging from defence to technology and energy security.

time to read

1 min

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Slugfest over Kerala CEO’s appointment as CM’s secy

The appointment of Kerala chief election officer (CEO) Rathan U Kelkar as secretary to chief minister VD Satheesan kicked up a political row in the southern state, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Communist Party of India (Marxist) accusing the Congress of “hypocrisy” citing its earlier criticism against similar appointments in BJP-ruled states.

time to read

1 min

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

‘Sports infrastructure for CWG will be ready by 2029’

The city is buzzing with sports activities. The Asian Weightlifting Championships has just finished.

time to read

2 mins

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Heat wave to continue grip over central India till May end: IMD

Heat wave to severe heat wave conditions are likely to continue to prevail over central India till end of the month, India Meteorological Department (IMD) warned on Saturday.

time to read

2 mins

May 24, 2026

Hindustan Times Bengaluru

Two techies die in fire, crash on Ggm roads

Two engineers died in separate road accidents near Sikanderpur Metro station and IFFCO Chowk in Gurugram in the intervening night of Friday and Saturday, police said.

time to read

1 min

May 24, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size