KIA SONET – A MIGHTY OFFERING IN THE COMPACT SUV SEGMENT
Auto Tech Review|August 2020
KIA SONET – A MIGHTY OFFERING IN THE COMPACT SUV SEGMENT
It wouldn't be wrong to say that Kia Motors India has taken the Indian market by storm in less than 12 months of its presence in the market.
Deepangshu Dev Sarmah

The Seltos SUV it launched in August last year accounts for close to 98 % of Kia's total sales in India, while the remaining 2 % comes from the Carnival MPV. In the process, the company has become the fastest manufacturer in the country to reach the 100,000 unit sales milestone.

In this brief period, the company has set new benchmarks in terms of product quality, set-up a robust network, and has delivered seamless customer experience to its customers, thus creating a mark unlike any other manufacturer in the country in recent times. Kia Motors India is now ready with its third product for India, its second ‘made in India’ product, the compact SUV Sonet.

WHAT TO EXPECT?

When Kia launched the Seltos in the market, it offered customers a wide array of variants (16 of them!) to choose from. The Sonet, too, is likely to be offered with multiple powertrain and trim options. In addition to the HT line, the Sonet will also come with a GT line, becoming the first SUV in the segment to be offered a sporty trim. The highlights of the GT line include a black high-glossy grille with GT Line logo and red accents on the front, red stitching on the steering wheel, seats and door armrest. At the rear, the GT line gets the piano black diffuser fin skid plates with red accents.

The powertrain portfolio in the Sonet is expected to include a 1.2 l naturally-aspirated as well as a 1 l turbocharged petrol unit that are currently available on the Hyundai Venue, while the 1.5 l diesel engine will be the one used in the Seltos SUV. While the 1.2 l petrol unit is expected to come with a manual transmission, the 1 l petrol engine is likely to be offered with three transmission options – a manual, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic and the newly introduced 6-speed Intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) unit. The diesel unit is likely to get two transmission options – a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic transmission.

articleRead

You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD

Log in, if you are already a subscriber

GoldLogo

Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories, newspapers and 5,000+ magazines

READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE

August 2020