Four Last-Minute (and totally legal) Tax Dodges!

Men's Fitness (US)|April 2016

Four Last-Minute (and totally legal) Tax Dodges!

Whether it’s socking money into an IRA or HSA or even using your couch-surfing buddy as the basis for a deduction, here’s how to lower your yearly tax bill down the homestretch.

Jack Otter

Ah, April. The smack of baseballs hitting the catcher’s mitt. Bright flowers blooming. That first lukewarm day when women walk down the street with practically nothing on.

Uncle Sam sucking your checking account dry on tax day.

I know, I know: We all want to live in a country with an army, paved roads, and clean water. But you don’t have to be a placard-waving Tea Party activist or Wesley Snipes to wish you could reduce the size of the check you send to the IRS in a few weeks. And good news: Though most tax-saving moves have to be made long before tax day, there are still a few financial maneuvers you can execute at the last minute to reduce your 2015 liability.

Even more good news: Congress even passed a few tax breaks last year that will help you, and this year’s tax-filing deadline is later than usual, on April 18 (pushed back because April 15 is a holiday, Emancipation Day), so you’ve got even more time than usual to try and shave a few Benjamins off what you owe. Here’s how.


Open up a last-minute IRA

You’re probably sick of hearing that you aren’t saving enough for retirement. While that’s probably the case, I’ll spare you the same old lecture and offer you yet another reason to start saving: Uncle Sam will cut your taxes when you put money into an Individual Retirement Account. The IRS allows you to contribute up to $5,500 per year ($6,500 if you are over 50), and you can then reduce your taxable income by that amount. To oversimplify a bit, if you earn $100,000 a year and deposit $5,000, the government will tax only $95,000 of your income. That could knock about $1,250 off your tax bill.

Low-income savers get an added bonus: If you’re single and made less than $30,501, you’re eligible for the “saver’s credit” of up to $1,000 in addition to the tax break. “It allows you to double-dip,” says Lisa Greene-Lewis, CPA and tax expert at TurboTax, who says only one out of four people who are eligible actually claim this credit. To get the tax savings on your current return, make sure you tell the IRA administrator (Fidelity, Schwab, or whichever firm the account is with) that the contribution is for the 2015 tax year. Then deposit the money by April 18.


Sock away some dough in a Health Savings Account


You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD

Log in, if you are already a subscriber


Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories and 5,000+ magazines


April 2016