What better way to celebrate the end of the year than with big hearty trays and plates of nourishing food to share? These dishes may be indulgent, but they’re healthy too, we promise!
Braised lamb shanks
NOTE If you have more time, make this dish the day before and simply switch the oven off and leave the lamb inside to cook slowly in the residual heat and break down even more overnight.
4 to 6 lamb shanks
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
10 to 12 whole baby onions, peeled
1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
1½ cups dry white wine
Fresh rosemary sprigs
Fresh thyme sprigs
A few bay leaves
8 cloves garlic, skin on
3 cups chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Dust the lamb shanks with the spices and seasoning and brown the meat in a large oven-proof dish in a little olive oil on the stove. Remove the shanks and set aside.
2. Add a splash more oil to the pan and sauté the carrots, celery and baby onions.
3. Add the vinegar and stir to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the dish. Add the white wine.
4. Tie the herbs together with string and add to the pan.
5. Place the lamb shanks back into the pan, add the garlic cloves and pour in the chicken stock.
6. Place the dish in the oven and cook for two hours, covered. (After an hour, turn the lamb and keep an eye on the liquid – add more stock if necessary).
7. Remove the dish from the oven, remove the lamb and vegetables from the dish and reduce the remaining sauce on the stove. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin and add to the sauce. Once reduced, add the lamb and vegetables back into the dish and place back in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through. Serve.
Asian-style sweet potatoes
3 medium-to-large sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges or rounds
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
FOR THE DRESSING
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp white miso
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp water
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
Fresh coriander leaves
You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD
Log in, if you are already a subscriber
Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories, newspapers and 5,000+ magazines
READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE